- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
Chargers news: Manti Te’o impresses coaches in NFL debut
- Updated: October 1, 2013
The San Diego Chargers had to wait most of the preseason and three long weeks during the regular season to see what rookie second-round pick Manti Te’o would do on the field once he recovered from a foot injury. As it turned out during the Chargers’ win against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, he didn’t disappoint.
“He did a nice job,” said head coach Mike McCoy on Monday. “We weren’t sure how many snaps he was going to get because of their personnel grouping, whether they were going to be in 11 personnel or play more base personnel, so we were going to monitor him as the game went along and he did a nice job for the first time getting in there.”
No one was more excited to get back on the field than Te’o, who injured his foot in the Bolts’ first preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks and had to wear a walking boot. He finished the day with three tackles in limited action.
“He was excited to get back out there and I think the number of reps, he probably would have liked a few more, but because of the personnel groupings we were in he got what he got.”
For the fans, it’s encouraging to see him on the field as well. If he can recapture any of the special talent that made him a finalist for the Heisman Trophy at Notre Dame, then the Chargers’ defense will be able to build on the obvious chemistry they’ve developed through four games.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start - July 1, 2015
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency - June 29, 2015
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes - June 15, 2015