- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Chargers news: Manti Te’o impresses coaches in NFL debut
- Updated: October 1, 2013
The San Diego Chargers had to wait most of the preseason and three long weeks during the regular season to see what rookie second-round pick Manti Te’o would do on the field once he recovered from a foot injury. As it turned out during the Chargers’ win against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, he didn’t disappoint.
“He did a nice job,” said head coach Mike McCoy on Monday. “We weren’t sure how many snaps he was going to get because of their personnel grouping, whether they were going to be in 11 personnel or play more base personnel, so we were going to monitor him as the game went along and he did a nice job for the first time getting in there.”
No one was more excited to get back on the field than Te’o, who injured his foot in the Bolts’ first preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks and had to wear a walking boot. He finished the day with three tackles in limited action.
“He was excited to get back out there and I think the number of reps, he probably would have liked a few more, but because of the personnel groupings we were in he got what he got.”
For the fans, it’s encouraging to see him on the field as well. If he can recapture any of the special talent that made him a finalist for the Heisman Trophy at Notre Dame, then the Chargers’ defense will be able to build on the obvious chemistry they’ve developed through four games.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015