- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
Chargers news: Manti Te’o impresses coaches in NFL debut
- Updated: October 1, 2013
The San Diego Chargers had to wait most of the preseason and three long weeks during the regular season to see what rookie second-round pick Manti Te’o would do on the field once he recovered from a foot injury. As it turned out during the Chargers’ win against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, he didn’t disappoint.
“He did a nice job,” said head coach Mike McCoy on Monday. “We weren’t sure how many snaps he was going to get because of their personnel grouping, whether they were going to be in 11 personnel or play more base personnel, so we were going to monitor him as the game went along and he did a nice job for the first time getting in there.”
No one was more excited to get back on the field than Te’o, who injured his foot in the Bolts’ first preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks and had to wear a walking boot. He finished the day with three tackles in limited action.
“He was excited to get back out there and I think the number of reps, he probably would have liked a few more, but because of the personnel groupings we were in he got what he got.”
For the fans, it’s encouraging to see him on the field as well. If he can recapture any of the special talent that made him a finalist for the Heisman Trophy at Notre Dame, then the Chargers’ defense will be able to build on the obvious chemistry they’ve developed through four games.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014