- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
Chargers news: Manti Te’o impresses coaches in NFL debut
- Updated: October 1, 2013
The San Diego Chargers had to wait most of the preseason and three long weeks during the regular season to see what rookie second-round pick Manti Te’o would do on the field once he recovered from a foot injury. As it turned out during the Chargers’ win against the Dallas Cowboys on Sunday, he didn’t disappoint.
“He did a nice job,” said head coach Mike McCoy on Monday. “We weren’t sure how many snaps he was going to get because of their personnel grouping, whether they were going to be in 11 personnel or play more base personnel, so we were going to monitor him as the game went along and he did a nice job for the first time getting in there.”
No one was more excited to get back on the field than Te’o, who injured his foot in the Bolts’ first preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks and had to wear a walking boot. He finished the day with three tackles in limited action.
“He was excited to get back out there and I think the number of reps, he probably would have liked a few more, but because of the personnel groupings we were in he got what he got.”
For the fans, it’s encouraging to see him on the field as well. If he can recapture any of the special talent that made him a finalist for the Heisman Trophy at Notre Dame, then the Chargers’ defense will be able to build on the obvious chemistry they’ve developed through four games.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries - September 17, 2015
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors - September 17, 2015
- Aldon Smith signs 1-year deal with Raiders, charged with three crimes on same day - September 11, 2015