- Jets vs. Chargers: Bolts’ run defense has tough test Sunday
- Chargers notes: Do the Bolts have the best receiving corps in football?
- Dennis Allen’s greatest Raiders moments
- Los Angeles Clippers Media Day 2014: ‘This is our time’
- Jaguars vs. Chargers, Week 4: Bolts win third straight, 33-14
- 4 things learned about the NFC West
- Pac-12 Las Vegas Outlook: Week 4
- Ben McLemore relaxed after lost rookie year
- Giants playoff tickets 209 percent above season average
- Angels playoff tickets up 257 percent from season average
Chargers news: Philip Rivers named AFC Player of the Week
- Updated: September 18, 2013
The NFL announced on Wednesday that San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has been named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week for Week 2.
Rivers spearheaded an improbable Chargers win against the Philadelphia Eagles on the road on Sunday and managed a stellar 419 yards through the air on 36-of-47 passes and three touchdowns. His performance marked the fourth time in his career where he went over 400 yards passing.
The veteran signal caller has played sound football dating back to the conclusion of the 2012 season. In his last six games, he’s totaled 15 touchdown passes against only one interception. He’s placed an emphasis to taking care of the ball, and it’s paid dividends in the form of better team results. Another reason for his improved numbers is the improvement in the offensive line.
Opponents sacked Rivers an average of 3.1 times per game last season. This year, he’s only been sacked three times through two games. Better yet is the Bolts’ running game with the three-headed monster featuring Ryan Mathews, Danny Woodhead and Ronnie Brown. After ranking 22nd in the NFL in rushing yards last season, the Chargers are averaging 103 yards per game in 2013, good for 15th.
The sample size is small, but given the circumstances, there’s reason for optimism in San Diego.
Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers earned the NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors.
Photo by Keith Allison / Wikimedia Commons
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014
- Bud Black on Padres long-term success: ‘It’s more personal’ - September 23, 2014
- 49ers, Cardinals fans brawl in Glendale: How San Francisco lost twice - September 23, 2014