- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
Chargers news: Philip Rivers named AFC Player of the Week
- Updated: September 18, 2013
The NFL announced on Wednesday that San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers has been named the AFC Offensive Player of the Week for Week 2.
Rivers spearheaded an improbable Chargers win against the Philadelphia Eagles on the road on Sunday and managed a stellar 419 yards through the air on 36-of-47 passes and three touchdowns. His performance marked the fourth time in his career where he went over 400 yards passing.
The veteran signal caller has played sound football dating back to the conclusion of the 2012 season. In his last six games, he’s totaled 15 touchdown passes against only one interception. He’s placed an emphasis to taking care of the ball, and it’s paid dividends in the form of better team results. Another reason for his improved numbers is the improvement in the offensive line.
Opponents sacked Rivers an average of 3.1 times per game last season. This year, he’s only been sacked three times through two games. Better yet is the Bolts’ running game with the three-headed monster featuring Ryan Mathews, Danny Woodhead and Ronnie Brown. After ranking 22nd in the NFL in rushing yards last season, the Chargers are averaging 103 yards per game in 2013, good for 15th.
The sample size is small, but given the circumstances, there’s reason for optimism in San Diego.
Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers earned the NFC Offensive Player of the Week honors.
Photo by Keith Allison / Wikimedia Commons
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge - November 21, 2014
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor - November 21, 2014
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014