- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
- Jets vs. Chargers: Bolts’ run defense has tough test Sunday
49ers news: Ian Williams out for the season with broken ankle
- Updated: September 16, 2013
San Francisco 49ers nose tackle Ian Williams suffered a broken left ankle in the 49ers Sunday night loss to the Seattle Seahawks and will miss the remainder of the 2013 season, according to Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News.
The news comes after Williams sustained the injury on a cut block by Seahawks right guard J.R. Sweezy. At the time of the injury, Williams was engaged with Seahawks center Max Unger and didn’t see the hit coming. He hobbled off the field in obvious pain and did not return. Officials didn’t throw a flag on the play,though it appeared to be an illegal hit.
Linebacker Patrick Willis called the hit ‘uncalled for,’ and said that any move where a player goes after another’s legs rather than hit them up high is cowardly. He went on to say that the league would be diligent to look further into the frequency of hits such as the one that sidelined Williams and subsequent injuries.
It’s worth looking into, especially with the league’s consistent message that player safety is a high priority.
With Williams out, veteran tackle and former No. 5 overall pick Glenn Dorsey will step in and fill the void. The 49ers have five offensive lineman healthy on the 53-man roster including Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Demarcus Dobbs, Tony Jerod-Eddie and Dorsey.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014