- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
- Pablo Sandoval credits teammates with weight loss, increased fitness
49ers news: Ian Williams out for the season with broken ankle
- Updated: September 16, 2013
San Francisco 49ers nose tackle Ian Williams suffered a broken left ankle in the 49ers Sunday night loss to the Seattle Seahawks and will miss the remainder of the 2013 season, according to Cam Inman of the San Jose Mercury News.
The news comes after Williams sustained the injury on a cut block by Seahawks right guard J.R. Sweezy. At the time of the injury, Williams was engaged with Seahawks center Max Unger and didn’t see the hit coming. He hobbled off the field in obvious pain and did not return. Officials didn’t throw a flag on the play,though it appeared to be an illegal hit.
Linebacker Patrick Willis called the hit ‘uncalled for,’ and said that any move where a player goes after another’s legs rather than hit them up high is cowardly. He went on to say that the league would be diligent to look further into the frequency of hits such as the one that sidelined Williams and subsequent injuries.
It’s worth looking into, especially with the league’s consistent message that player safety is a high priority.
With Williams out, veteran tackle and former No. 5 overall pick Glenn Dorsey will step in and fill the void. The 49ers have five offensive lineman healthy on the 53-man roster including Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Demarcus Dobbs, Tony Jerod-Eddie and Dorsey.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Blake Griffin feeds DeAndre Jordan vs. Hawks - March 8, 2014
- VIDEO: Ty Lawson breaks Jodie Meeks’ ankles, adds insult to Lakers’ woes - March 7, 2014
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks - March 7, 2014