- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Raiders QB Terrelle Pryor: ‘I played awful’
- Updated: September 11, 2013
Following the season opener 21-17 loss to the Indianapolis Colts, Oakland Raiders quarterback Terrelle Pryor voiced frustration because he felt his individual performance was “awful.”
In his second career start on Sunday, Pryor was 19-of-29 for 219 passing yards with one touchdown, two interception and also rushed for 112 yards. These statistics did not matter to the 24-year-old as all he wanted to do was lead his team to victory.
“I could’ve helped win the game and didn’t,” Pryor said. “We had ‘em on the ropes and we didn’t knock them out. The record is all that matters to me. I don’t care what my numbers are. I just want to do well for the team, and I didn’t do well enough. What happened today was unacceptable, and that’s on me.””
Despite what Pryor described as a disappointing game, he provides Oakland’s offense with another element with the use of the read option in the playbook because of his quickness and mobility that helped him rush for over 100 yards. The team had an opportunity to win the game but Pryor’s second interception sealed the loss with just under two minutes left to play in the fourth quarter.
In the postgame interview, Pryor repeatedly stated his dissatisfaction with his performance as it did not meet the high standards that he has set for himself.
““Please don’t write this as cocky because it’s not. Anytime I get on the field, I feel like I’m the best player out there and that my team is going to have a chance to win,” Pryor said. “That’s my job. I need to get the ball into the right hands and make plays. We have to get better. I know I do.”
Pryor did make several mistakes such as his two interceptions, kept possession of the ball on many read option plays where running back Darren McFadden had room to run and took an 8-yard sack in the red zone on the team’s last drive in the game. The key element to these mistakes is that they were made by a quarterback who was only in the second start of his young career.
Though he did make crucial mistakes, his performance did impress the opposing quarterback.
“I’ll tell you, Terrelle Pryor is a stud,” Colts quarterback Andrew Luck said. “He made some unbelievable plays.”
His play did in fact earn the respect from several of his teammates including safety Charles Woodson, who feels that Pryor gives Oakland the best opportunity to win, which is a belief that many Raiders fans have about him.
““The guy’s a heartbreaker,” Woodson said. “Just when a defender thinks a play is over, Terrelle finds a way to stay alive and make a play. That wears people down over the course of a game. The guy is fun to watch, and he gives us a chance to win.”
The miscues Pryor committed were made due to his lack of experience, and it appears he understands that he must improve and move on to team’s next opponent the Jacksonville Jaguars.
“I am very disappointed, but at the end of the day I learned a couple of things today,” Pryor said. “I can put (it) into my bag of treats and bringing it out for next week and keep learning.”
Photo Credit: Andy Lyons/Getty Images
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak expects Kobe Bryant to return next season - January 30, 2015
- Pau Gasol gets standing ovation in return to Los Angeles - January 30, 2015
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 4: Kobe Bryant expected to miss rest of season, Team Irvin wins Pro Bowl - January 26, 2015