- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
Lakers sign G Xavier Henry
- Updated: September 5, 2013
Henry was drafted with the 12th overall selection in the 2010 NBA Draft by the Memphis Grizzles. He was traded in January of 2012 to New Orleans as part of a three-team deal that shipped forward Marreese Speights to the Grizzles and two future second round draft picks to the Philadelphia 76ers and in March of 2012 he was assigned the Iowa Energy in the NBA D-League.
Last season, Henry played in 50 games for the Pelicans averaging 3.9 points, 1.8 rebounds, and a career-high .410 field goal percentage in 12.5 minutes per game. In his NBA career he has started 18 games with two of his starts coming last season. Henry could earn a spot on team as player of the bench who could help Jodie Meeks spell time for Kobe Bryant and at 22 years old he could be someone that the organization could develop into a better shooter and all-around player.
This signing of Henry comes a day after the team inked six-year veteran Shawne Williams to a deal. The Lakers now have 14 players under contract and are expected to have between 16 to 20 players when training camp starts in late September.
It has also been reported that Los Angeles has interest in several free agents that includes Sebastian Telfair, Marcus Landry, Louis Amundson, and potentially Michael Beasley, who was released on Tuesday from the Phoenix Suns due to his arrest in early August because of Marijuana possession.
Photo Credit: Chris Humphreys – USA Today Sports
[button color=”blue” link=”http://www.sportsoutwest.com/category/lakers” color=white]Visit the Sports Out West Lakers Hub for More[/button]