- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
Lakers: Why it’s time to cut ties with Lamar Odom
- Updated: September 2, 2013
With the 2013-14 season quickly on the horizon, former Los Angeles Clippers forward Lamar Odom is still a free agent and it is not surprising to see his other former, Los Angeles Lakers, remain a viable option for his service but with that said they must move on from him.
Odom’s life is immersed right now with personal problems that have become public such as his alleged drug use for the past two years which are rumored to have affected his marriage and his arrest this past Saturday early in morning because of a DUI. It is currently to the point where all the news that is reported about him is troubling and disheartening.
To put it lightly, his life is in shambles at this point in time. It appears that he is life is now spinning out of control with these reports about his drug use and the media’s invasion on his personal life has only worsen the situation.
What the Lakers must do knowing the circumstances, is that they must come to terms that what Odom needs is to get his life back in order. He is struggling to keep it together and the organization knows that they must do what they can to help Odom turn his life around because he is not in a good place right now.
It is paining for Lakers fans to see one of their beloved former players in such a bad state in his life right now. Odom helped Los Angeles bring home win their 15th and 16th NBA titles and he also earned the Sixth man of the year award with the team in the 2010-11 regular season. He was a major contributor to the team’s success and was a fan favorite when he was on the Lakers, so it is very concerning to see the difficulties he is having right now.
The bottom line is that the Lakers have to move on and realize that Odom must get his personal life together before he can focus on the game of basketball. What the organization can do is support and help him through this hard time. As much as signing Odom would be to the appeasement to many Lakers fans, it would be the wrong move because he needs to get his must get his off-the-court life in check first.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Jordan Farmar reiterates desire to return to Lakers - April 18, 2014
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions - April 18, 2014
- Pau Gasol’s free agency plans surrounded by uncertainty - April 17, 2014