- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
49ers trade Cam Johnson, sign Chris Harper off Seahawks practice squad
- Updated: September 2, 2013
Amidst the flurry of moves made by the San Francisco 49ers following initial 53-man roster cuts, the team traded outside linebacker Cam Johnson to the Indianapolis Colts for a conditional draft pick (likely a 2014 seventh-round pick according to a report by the NFL Network) and signed rookie wide receiver Chris Harper off the Seattle Seahawks’ practice squad.
Johnson, a seventh-round draft pick of the 49ers in 2012, spent most of his rookie season on the practice squad before making his way to the 53-man roster near the end of the season. A standout during preseason action this year, his most dominating performance came against the San Diego Chargers where he recorded two sacks, blocked a Mike Scifres punt and recovered it in the end zone for a touchdown. However, due to the depth at outside linebacker with starters Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks backed up by Dan Skuta and Corey Lemonier, Johnson was deemed expendable.
With a roster spot opened up from the Johnson trade, the 49ers went out and added the sixth wide receiver to their roster by signing Harper, a fourth-round draft pick of the Seahawks. A larger target at 6-foot-1, 234 pounds, Harper joins Anquan Boldin, Kyle Williams, Quinton Patton, Marlon Moore and Jonathan Baldwin.
Photo Credit: Joe Nicholson/USA TODAY Sports
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013