- NFL free agency 2014: Golden Tate to visit Detroit Lions
- NCAA Tournament 2014: San Diego State head coach Steve Fisher eyeing top-4 seed
- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
49ers trade Cam Johnson, sign Chris Harper off Seahawks practice squad
- Updated: September 2, 2013
Amidst the flurry of moves made by the San Francisco 49ers following initial 53-man roster cuts, the team traded outside linebacker Cam Johnson to the Indianapolis Colts for a conditional draft pick (likely a 2014 seventh-round pick according to a report by the NFL Network) and signed rookie wide receiver Chris Harper off the Seattle Seahawks’ practice squad.
Johnson, a seventh-round draft pick of the 49ers in 2012, spent most of his rookie season on the practice squad before making his way to the 53-man roster near the end of the season. A standout during preseason action this year, his most dominating performance came against the San Diego Chargers where he recorded two sacks, blocked a Mike Scifres punt and recovered it in the end zone for a touchdown. However, due to the depth at outside linebacker with starters Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks backed up by Dan Skuta and Corey Lemonier, Johnson was deemed expendable.
With a roster spot opened up from the Johnson trade, the 49ers went out and added the sixth wide receiver to their roster by signing Harper, a fourth-round draft pick of the Seahawks. A larger target at 6-foot-1, 234 pounds, Harper joins Anquan Boldin, Kyle Williams, Quinton Patton, Marlon Moore and Jonathan Baldwin.
Photo Credit: Joe Nicholson/USA TODAY Sports
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013