- Stephen Curry captures magic of Warriors’ Oracle Arena
- 49ers Week 15 primer: Can San Francisco carry their momentum to Tampa Bay?
- Seahawks vs. Giants preview: Seattle looks to rebound on the East Coast
- Lakers news: Steve Blake to miss at least six weeks with elbow injury
- Stale Sacramento Kings fail versus Utah Jazz 122-101
- Mark Trumbo trade: Did Jerry Dipoto make the right move?
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant’s return adds unique challenges for teammates
- Clippers news: Stephen Jackson signs with L.A.
- Sacramento Kings trade exports won’t be simple to replace
- Lakers: Kobe Bryant’s improvement encouraging
Oregon Ducks run over Nicholls State in season opener, 66-3
- Updated: September 1, 2013
The No. 3 Oregon Ducks racked up over 770 yards of total offense and crushed Nicholls State, 66-3.
In the Ducks’ season opener, many doubted that the team would be the same under new head coach Mark Helfrich. He has some big shoes to fill after taking over the team from former head coach Chip Kelly, who departed for an NFL coaching job with the Philadelphia Eagles.
The Ducks’ play didn’t seem to drop off at all, especially under new offensive coordinator Scott Frost. For the first time in school history, the Ducks had three 100-yard rushers. Marcus Mariota ran for two touchdowns and completed 12 of 21 passes for 234 yards before sitting after the third quarter with the lead at 45-3. De’Anthony Thomas ran for 128 yards and two touchdowns, while carrying the ball 18 times. Byron Marshall finished with 124 yards rushing and a touchdown.
The Ducks’ defense allowed Nicholls State to compile 343 total yards but only let them put three points on the scoreboard. Nicholls State’s only score came on a 35-yard field goal in the second quarter by Andrew Dolan.
Oregon cornerback Terrance Mitchell was ejected in the first quarter after being penalized under the NCAA’s new “targeting” rule for hitting near the neck or head of a defenseless player.
Oregon’s next game is Saturday, September 7 at the University of Virginia.
Photo Credit: Michael Arellano / Daily Emerald
Latest posts by Norm Hightower (see all)
- Oregon football Week 7: 7 observations from the Ducks’ 45-24 win over Washington - October 15, 2013
- Week 5 Preview: Colorado Buffalos vs. Oregon State Beavers - September 28, 2013
- Oregon State football Week 3: 5 observations from the Beavers’ 51-48 win over Utah in OT - September 20, 2013