- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
No. 25 OSU Beavers upset by Eastern Washington 49-46
- Updated: September 1, 2013
The opening week of college football went pretty much as expected for the top-25, except for when the Eastern Washington Eagles shocked the fans at Reser Stadium and upset the No. 25 Oregon State Beavers, 49-46.
The Eagles were led by quarterback Vernon Adams, who threw for 411 yards and four touchdowns. Adams also rushed for 107 yards and two touchdowns. The Beavers couldn’t figure out how to stop Adams on defense.
Sean Mannion did his part on the Beavers’ offense, throwing for 422 yards and three touchdowns. Brandin Cooks had a big day and caught 13 passes for 196 yards and two touchdowns. Storm Woods ran for 68 yards and two touchdowns on 16 carries. The Beavers’ offense really played well, putting up 527 total yards.
Defensively, the Beavers failed to show up. They allowed the Eagles to compile 625 yards of total offense. Oregon State was expected to be a contender in the Pac-12, but if their defense continues to play this way, they would be lucky to win in the FCS.
The Beavers’ next game is against the Hawaii Warriors in Corvallis on Saturday, September 7.
Photo Credit: Randy L. Rasmussen / The Oregonian
Latest posts by Norm Hightower (see all)
- Oregon football Week 7: 7 observations from the Ducks’ 45-24 win over Washington - October 15, 2013
- Week 5 Preview: Colorado Buffalos vs. Oregon State Beavers - September 28, 2013
- Oregon State football Week 3: 5 observations from the Beavers’ 51-48 win over Utah in OT - September 20, 2013