- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
Pau Gasol will represent Madrid for 2020 Olympic bid
- Updated: August 28, 2013
In a released statement Tuesday, Spain stated he will a part of the committee that will address the International Olympic Committee in Buenos Aires, Argentina next month when the country makes its final presentation. Gasol is one of Spain’s most well-known and decorated athletes as he lead his country to claim silver medals in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, and win the 2006 FIBA World Championship.
Gasol took to Twitter on Tuesday to express his excitement about the news:
— Pau Gasol (@paugasol) August 27, 2013
Madrid is competing alongside Toyko and Istanbul for the right to host the 2020 Summer Games. The IOC is expected to make its decision on Sept. 7.
Gasol said in the released statement that the Olympics are “more than a sport” to Spain as the games would provide a much needed economic boost to the country that is in its fourth year of economic downturn with the current unemployment rate at 26.3 percent.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Jeremy Lin aiming to create a new legacy with Lakers - July 24, 2014
- Blazers news: Rip City jerseys will have sleeves in 2014-15 - July 24, 2014
- Blazers news: Thomas Robinson has thumb surgery - July 23, 2014