- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
Pau Gasol will represent Madrid for 2020 Olympic bid
- Updated: August 28, 2013
In a released statement Tuesday, Spain stated he will a part of the committee that will address the International Olympic Committee in Buenos Aires, Argentina next month when the country makes its final presentation. Gasol is one of Spain’s most well-known and decorated athletes as he lead his country to claim silver medals in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, and win the 2006 FIBA World Championship.
Gasol took to Twitter on Tuesday to express his excitement about the news:
— Pau Gasol (@paugasol) August 27, 2013
Madrid is competing alongside Toyko and Istanbul for the right to host the 2020 Summer Games. The IOC is expected to make its decision on Sept. 7.
Gasol said in the released statement that the Olympics are “more than a sport” to Spain as the games would provide a much needed economic boost to the country that is in its fourth year of economic downturn with the current unemployment rate at 26.3 percent.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 16: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has surgery, Raiders sign Michael Crabtree - April 20, 2015
- Lakers set to embarking on crucial offseason - April 19, 2015
- Lakers’ 2014-15 season exit interviews - April 16, 2015