- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
Pau Gasol will represent Madrid for 2020 Olympic bid
- Updated: August 28, 2013
In a released statement Tuesday, Spain stated he will a part of the committee that will address the International Olympic Committee in Buenos Aires, Argentina next month when the country makes its final presentation. Gasol is one of Spain’s most well-known and decorated athletes as he lead his country to claim silver medals in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, and win the 2006 FIBA World Championship.
Gasol took to Twitter on Tuesday to express his excitement about the news:
— Pau Gasol (@paugasol) August 27, 2013
Madrid is competing alongside Toyko and Istanbul for the right to host the 2020 Summer Games. The IOC is expected to make its decision on Sept. 7.
Gasol said in the released statement that the Olympics are “more than a sport” to Spain as the games would provide a much needed economic boost to the country that is in its fourth year of economic downturn with the current unemployment rate at 26.3 percent.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Byron Scott announces Lakers’ coaching staff - September 17, 2014
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 36: USC falls to BC, USA wins World Cup Gold - September 15, 2014
- Can Steve Nash be Lakers starting point guard? - September 14, 2014