- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
Pau Gasol will represent Madrid for 2020 Olympic bid
- Updated: August 28, 2013
In a released statement Tuesday, Spain stated he will a part of the committee that will address the International Olympic Committee in Buenos Aires, Argentina next month when the country makes its final presentation. Gasol is one of Spain’s most well-known and decorated athletes as he lead his country to claim silver medals in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, and win the 2006 FIBA World Championship.
Gasol took to Twitter on Tuesday to express his excitement about the news:
— Pau Gasol (@paugasol) August 27, 2013
Madrid is competing alongside Toyko and Istanbul for the right to host the 2020 Summer Games. The IOC is expected to make its decision on Sept. 7.
Gasol said in the released statement that the Olympics are “more than a sport” to Spain as the games would provide a much needed economic boost to the country that is in its fourth year of economic downturn with the current unemployment rate at 26.3 percent.