- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
Pau Gasol will represent Madrid for 2020 Olympic bid
- Updated: August 28, 2013
In a released statement Tuesday, Spain stated he will a part of the committee that will address the International Olympic Committee in Buenos Aires, Argentina next month when the country makes its final presentation. Gasol is one of Spain’s most well-known and decorated athletes as he lead his country to claim silver medals in the 2008 and 2012 Olympics, and win the 2006 FIBA World Championship.
Gasol took to Twitter on Tuesday to express his excitement about the news:
— Pau Gasol (@paugasol) August 27, 2013
Madrid is competing alongside Toyko and Istanbul for the right to host the 2020 Summer Games. The IOC is expected to make its decision on Sept. 7.
Gasol said in the released statement that the Olympics are “more than a sport” to Spain as the games would provide a much needed economic boost to the country that is in its fourth year of economic downturn with the current unemployment rate at 26.3 percent.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- 5 things we learned from Lakers’ win 118-111 over Celtics - February 23, 2015
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 8: Mayweather-Pacquiao fight on, Raiders and Chargers planning move - February 23, 2015
- Lakers’ future plans must include plenty of patience - February 22, 2015