- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
- Jets vs. Chargers: Bolts’ run defense has tough test Sunday
Chargers news: WR Mike Willie, 2 others placed on IR
- Updated: August 27, 2013
The San Diego Chargers placed wide receiver Mike Willie on the Reserve-Injured list on Tuesday, ending his 2013 season.
The second-year player out of Arizona State had come on strong against the Chicago Bears in Week 3 of the preseason, catching three passes for 25 yards and two scores. In three games, he amassed six catches for 42 yards.
The Long Beach, Calif. native showed potential and was giving Mike McCoy and the coaching staff plenty to think about in terms of considering him for a roster spot as final cuts loom. At 6-foot-2, he has the size to play on the outside coupled with the speed to make plays down the field.
Fellow wide receiver Dan DePalma was also placed on IR with a shoulder ailment, further adding to the Chargers’ lack of depth at the increasingly-thin position. DePalma was signed as an undrafted free agent by the New York Jets in 2011 before spending time on the practice squad there as well as that of the New York Giants.
With the cuts, the Chargers have their roster down to the league-mandated 75 players and can move forward in the evaluation process to find out who will make the final 53.
Photo Credit: CerritosFalcons.com
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014