- Oakland Athletics ace Scott Kazmir headed to Houston
- Antonio Gates suspension: A look at Chargers tight ends who must step up
- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
Chargers news: WR Mike Willie, 2 others placed on IR
- Updated: August 27, 2013
The San Diego Chargers placed wide receiver Mike Willie on the Reserve-Injured list on Tuesday, ending his 2013 season.
The second-year player out of Arizona State had come on strong against the Chicago Bears in Week 3 of the preseason, catching three passes for 25 yards and two scores. In three games, he amassed six catches for 42 yards.
The Long Beach, Calif. native showed potential and was giving Mike McCoy and the coaching staff plenty to think about in terms of considering him for a roster spot as final cuts loom. At 6-foot-2, he has the size to play on the outside coupled with the speed to make plays down the field.
Fellow wide receiver Dan DePalma was also placed on IR with a shoulder ailment, further adding to the Chargers’ lack of depth at the increasingly-thin position. DePalma was signed as an undrafted free agent by the New York Jets in 2011 before spending time on the practice squad there as well as that of the New York Giants.
With the cuts, the Chargers have their roster down to the league-mandated 75 players and can move forward in the evaluation process to find out who will make the final 53.
Photo Credit: CerritosFalcons.com