- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
Chargers news: WR Mike Willie, 2 others placed on IR
- Updated: August 27, 2013
The San Diego Chargers placed wide receiver Mike Willie on the Reserve-Injured list on Tuesday, ending his 2013 season.
The second-year player out of Arizona State had come on strong against the Chicago Bears in Week 3 of the preseason, catching three passes for 25 yards and two scores. In three games, he amassed six catches for 42 yards.
The Long Beach, Calif. native showed potential and was giving Mike McCoy and the coaching staff plenty to think about in terms of considering him for a roster spot as final cuts loom. At 6-foot-2, he has the size to play on the outside coupled with the speed to make plays down the field.
Fellow wide receiver Dan DePalma was also placed on IR with a shoulder ailment, further adding to the Chargers’ lack of depth at the increasingly-thin position. DePalma was signed as an undrafted free agent by the New York Jets in 2011 before spending time on the practice squad there as well as that of the New York Giants.
With the cuts, the Chargers have their roster down to the league-mandated 75 players and can move forward in the evaluation process to find out who will make the final 53.
Photo Credit: CerritosFalcons.com
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters - March 13, 2015