- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
Chargers news: WR Mike Willie, 2 others placed on IR
- Updated: August 27, 2013
The San Diego Chargers placed wide receiver Mike Willie on the Reserve-Injured list on Tuesday, ending his 2013 season.
The second-year player out of Arizona State had come on strong against the Chicago Bears in Week 3 of the preseason, catching three passes for 25 yards and two scores. In three games, he amassed six catches for 42 yards.
The Long Beach, Calif. native showed potential and was giving Mike McCoy and the coaching staff plenty to think about in terms of considering him for a roster spot as final cuts loom. At 6-foot-2, he has the size to play on the outside coupled with the speed to make plays down the field.
Fellow wide receiver Dan DePalma was also placed on IR with a shoulder ailment, further adding to the Chargers’ lack of depth at the increasingly-thin position. DePalma was signed as an undrafted free agent by the New York Jets in 2011 before spending time on the practice squad there as well as that of the New York Giants.
With the cuts, the Chargers have their roster down to the league-mandated 75 players and can move forward in the evaluation process to find out who will make the final 53.
Photo Credit: CerritosFalcons.com
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries - September 17, 2015
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors - September 17, 2015
- Aldon Smith signs 1-year deal with Raiders, charged with three crimes on same day - September 11, 2015