- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Chargers news: WR Mike Willie, 2 others placed on IR
- Updated: August 27, 2013
The San Diego Chargers placed wide receiver Mike Willie on the Reserve-Injured list on Tuesday, ending his 2013 season.
The second-year player out of Arizona State had come on strong against the Chicago Bears in Week 3 of the preseason, catching three passes for 25 yards and two scores. In three games, he amassed six catches for 42 yards.
The Long Beach, Calif. native showed potential and was giving Mike McCoy and the coaching staff plenty to think about in terms of considering him for a roster spot as final cuts loom. At 6-foot-2, he has the size to play on the outside coupled with the speed to make plays down the field.
Fellow wide receiver Dan DePalma was also placed on IR with a shoulder ailment, further adding to the Chargers’ lack of depth at the increasingly-thin position. DePalma was signed as an undrafted free agent by the New York Jets in 2011 before spending time on the practice squad there as well as that of the New York Giants.
With the cuts, the Chargers have their roster down to the league-mandated 75 players and can move forward in the evaluation process to find out who will make the final 53.
Photo Credit: CerritosFalcons.com
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70 - December 5, 2014