- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
- Steve Kerr impresses at NBA Summer League, despite record
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1
- The Sacramento Kings’ veteran crisis
- NBA Summer League tournament beginning to take shape
Chargers’ latest roster cuts yield no surprises
- Updated: August 26, 2013
The San Diego Chargers are preparing to cut down their roster to the mandated 75 players before Tuesday’s deadline. On Sunday, they released 10 players, which brought them within five of that number at 80 total and served as the biggest roster cuts made to date.
The players dismissed were as follows:
- Edwin Baker — RB
- Colin Baxter — C
- Greg Brown — CB
- Tony Burnett — S
- Deon Butler — WR
- Brandyn Dombrowski — G
- Nathan Enderle — QB
- Richard Kent — P
- Jamarkus McFarland — DT
- Dallas Walker — TE
Perhaps the most notable name among the bunch is Dombrowski, who spent four seasons with the Chargers while starting a total of 15 games left tackle and guard. With King Dunlap looking like he’s firmly entrenched as the starter at left tackle and the rest of the line solidified, he’s the odd man out and will be a free agent.
Butler was drafted in the third round of the 2009 NFL draft by the Seattle Seahawks and spent his first four seasons in the Pacific Northwest. Even though the Chargers are in need of more bodies at wide receiver due to numerous injuries, he was a long shot to make enough of an impact to warrant a roster spot ahead of highly-touted rookie Keenan Allen and veterans such as Eddie Royal.
Now, the waiting game continues as five more cuts loom before Tuesday.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1 - July 17, 2014