- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
- Pablo Sandoval credits teammates with weight loss, increased fitness
Chargers’ latest roster cuts yield no surprises
- Updated: August 26, 2013
The San Diego Chargers are preparing to cut down their roster to the mandated 75 players before Tuesday’s deadline. On Sunday, they released 10 players, which brought them within five of that number at 80 total and served as the biggest roster cuts made to date.
The players dismissed were as follows:
- Edwin Baker — RB
- Colin Baxter — C
- Greg Brown — CB
- Tony Burnett — S
- Deon Butler — WR
- Brandyn Dombrowski — G
- Nathan Enderle — QB
- Richard Kent — P
- Jamarkus McFarland — DT
- Dallas Walker — TE
Perhaps the most notable name among the bunch is Dombrowski, who spent four seasons with the Chargers while starting a total of 15 games left tackle and guard. With King Dunlap looking like he’s firmly entrenched as the starter at left tackle and the rest of the line solidified, he’s the odd man out and will be a free agent.
Butler was drafted in the third round of the 2009 NFL draft by the Seattle Seahawks and spent his first four seasons in the Pacific Northwest. Even though the Chargers are in need of more bodies at wide receiver due to numerous injuries, he was a long shot to make enough of an impact to warrant a roster spot ahead of highly-touted rookie Keenan Allen and veterans such as Eddie Royal.
Now, the waiting game continues as five more cuts loom before Tuesday.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Ty Lawson breaks Jodie Meeks’ ankles, adds insult to Lakers’ woes - March 7, 2014
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks - March 7, 2014
- VIDEO: Mike Trout, Yasiel Puig do battle in Spring Training - March 7, 2014