- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Chargers’ latest roster cuts yield no surprises
- Updated: August 26, 2013
The San Diego Chargers are preparing to cut down their roster to the mandated 75 players before Tuesday’s deadline. On Sunday, they released 10 players, which brought them within five of that number at 80 total and served as the biggest roster cuts made to date.
The players dismissed were as follows:
- Edwin Baker — RB
- Colin Baxter — C
- Greg Brown — CB
- Tony Burnett — S
- Deon Butler — WR
- Brandyn Dombrowski — G
- Nathan Enderle — QB
- Richard Kent — P
- Jamarkus McFarland — DT
- Dallas Walker — TE
Perhaps the most notable name among the bunch is Dombrowski, who spent four seasons with the Chargers while starting a total of 15 games left tackle and guard. With King Dunlap looking like he’s firmly entrenched as the starter at left tackle and the rest of the line solidified, he’s the odd man out and will be a free agent.
Butler was drafted in the third round of the 2009 NFL draft by the Seattle Seahawks and spent his first four seasons in the Pacific Northwest. Even though the Chargers are in need of more bodies at wide receiver due to numerous injuries, he was a long shot to make enough of an impact to warrant a roster spot ahead of highly-touted rookie Keenan Allen and veterans such as Eddie Royal.
Now, the waiting game continues as five more cuts loom before Tuesday.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70 - December 5, 2014