- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
- Lakers lose 7th straight in home finale blowout vs. Grizzlies, 102-90
- Sacramento Kings look ahead in win vs. Minnesota Timberwolves
- Are stalled contract talks weighing down Pablo Sandoval?
- Los Angeles Lakers: 5 players L.A. needs to keep in 2014-15
Matt Flynn may lose starting job to Terrelle Pryor
- Updated: August 25, 2013
While with the Green Bay Packers, Matt Flynn looked like the next backup quarterback who was going to make the jump to at least a solid NFL starter. Now, he is two years removed from Green Bay and still appears unable to earn a starting job. On Friday, Flynn was 3-of-6 for 19 yards and two interceptions. His poor performance has once again put his chances of starting in jeopardy.
In the offseason, the Oakland Raiders traded for Flynn one season after he couldn’t beat out rookie Russell Wilson for the starting job with the Seattle Seahawks. The hope was he would bring stability to the position. That hope may have vanished on Friday evening. According to CBSsports.com, Pryor could still be in the mix for the starting job.
Coach Dennis Allen didn’t hold his tongue when speaking on his quarterback situation.
Via CBS Sports:
“I think obviously we have to look at it,” Allen said when asked about the starting quarterback situation. “I think when you look at it I don’t think Matt played well in this game. Obviously, I thought Terrelle came in and gave us a spark. I thought he played well in the game. I think that’s something that we have to go and look at it. I’m not going to make any decisions on anything, obviously, tonight. I want to get a chance to go back and look at the tape and see how things went. But it was obvious that Terrelle gave us a little bit of a spark tonight.”
Flynn’s fatal flaw is the fact that he is not mobile. Like Wilson in Seattle, Terrelle Pryor brings an extra gear to an offense. The Raiders’ offensive line hasn’t looked great this preseason and a mobile quarterback is almost a must if this team is going to have any success.
Pryor taking over the starting job will not make the Raiders great this season, but it gives the team a chance for the offense to be functional. With limited receiving threats on the outside and Darren McFadden always finding ways to be banged up, Pryor gives the team hope on offense.
Unfortunately, for Raiders fans, either way it appears the team maybe in the running for the No.1 pick next season.
Latest posts by Keenan Actkins (see all)
- NFL Schedule 2014: AFC West Marquee Match-ups - April 16, 2014
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling? - April 14, 2014
- NFL Draft 2014: What are the Chargers’ needs? - April 9, 2014