- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
Lakers will wear short-sleeved jerseys in ’13-14
- Updated: August 21, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers will participate in the new wave look NBA uniforms by donning short-sleeve jerseys in several games this upcoming season, according to Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
The jerseys will be white, which is the same color as the Lakers’ alternate Sunday uniforms that the organization initially debuted in the 2002-2003 regular season. These uniforms will be worn on Christmas day and also when the NBA honors “Noche Latina,” which will include the jerseys altered to say “Los Lakers.”
These new-look jerseys, called the Adizero NBA Short Sleeve Uniform System, are designed by Adidas and were first worn by the Golden State Warriors for three regular season games during the 2012-13 season. According to the company, the jersey is said to be 26 percent lighter than the traditional uniform and will also provide the players with a full range of movement that does not alter their shooting motion.
Also joining the Lakers in this new trend are the Phoenix Suns, who will the wear the short-sleeve jerseys as the alternate uniforms that will be included in their new set of redesigned jerseys and as many five teams in the NBA will suit up in the jerseys as their alternate uniforms in as many as 12 games during this upcoming season.
Adidas has offered every team in the league the chance to add the short sleeve jerseys, and the company has already produced 10 mock jerseys for the teams that will be playing on Christmas day. They also introduced the uniforms to the collegiate level this year during the Men’s basketball NCAA tournament as several teams wore the jerseys, including UCLA, Baylor, Cincinnati, Louisville, Kansas and Notre Dame.
The Lakers will also make the addition of black sleeveless jerseys to their set of uniforms this upcoming season. They will be worn as a part of the NBA’s city pride series, with which which they will accompany the Portland Trail Blazers’ “Rip City” uniforms and the Detroit Pistons’ “Motor City” jerseys, but in contrast to the other sets, it will still read “Lakers” across the front. It will feature the lettering and numerals in purple with the outlining in gold, a few gold accents with the rest of the uniform in black.
Los Angeles was also one of 17 teams during this year’s Summer League to wear the short-sleeve uniforms. Lakers point guard Steve Nash recently spoke out in support of the new NBA uniforms.
“”I don’t see why we all need the same tailor, as long as it’s pretty uniform,” Nash said. “I’m sure within reason.”
The 39-year-old also added that the NBA is an ever-evolving business and must keep up on new trends to stay as profitable as possible.
“”It’s not one of those things I’m going to lose any sleep over,” Nash said. “Basically, we’re an entertainment industry. So, you know, you got to make products that people can wear. Things are going to continually change.”
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 30: Lakers hire Byron Scott, Kendall Hunter tears ACL - July 28, 2014
- Byron Scott the right choice as Lakers next head coach - July 27, 2014
- Carlos Boozer says Kobe Bryant told him to ‘come ready’ - July 26, 2014