- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
Clippers PG Chris Paul elected NBPA union president
- Updated: August 21, 2013
Los Angeles Clippers point guard Chris Paul has been elected union president of the National Basketball Players Association, as announced by the NBPA on Wednesday. The decision was made during the union’s summer meeting in Las Vegas.
Paul, who has previously served as NBPA vice president, replaces former Los Angeles Lakers and Oklahoma City Thunder guard Derek Fisher. The declaration of Paul as president gives the organization its first big-name president since Patrick Ewing in 2001.
Paul became the likely candidate for the position once Miami Heat forward LeBron James decided not to run for president. Vice president and former New Orleans Pelicans guard Roger Mason was also a strong contender for the position.
The next step for the union is to hire an executive director to replace Billy Hunter, who was fired in February. Thanks to the efforts of the NBPA’s executive committee – Mason, Jerry Stackhouse, James Jones, Andre Iguodala, Stephen Curry, Willie Green and Matt Bonner – the union is trying to right the ship and bring stability back to the NBPA.
Photo Credit: JD Mercer/USA TODAY Sports
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013