- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
Lakers news: Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to react to low expectations
- Updated: August 15, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers lost out on the Dwight Howard sweepstakes, suffered a freak number of injuries last season and are handcuffed by their inability to sign any substantial additions to the roster. Their hands are tied given their luxury tax situation, and that means that they have to go into the 2013-14 campaign with tempered expectations.
12th I see..
— Kobe Bryant (@kobebryant) August 14, 2013
It’s a typical, Mamba-like response from Bryant, who has made a career out of thriving off the hatred of others. It’s one of the reasons that he plays so well in Madison Square Garden or inexplicably was able to put together a string of world-class performances while under intense legal pressure as a result of his sexual assault trial.
In other words, he’s as focused as they come. More importantly, he’s one of the most driven and self-motivated athletes we’ve ever seen. The fact that no one is picking the Lakers to be a lottery team even though they feature three future Hall of Famers is a slight that Bryant will undoubtedly use to fuel him further.
The Lakers will surprise a lot of people next year, and apparently, that includes the good folks over at ESPN.com.
Photo Credit: Cary Edmond / USA Today
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice - April 22, 2014
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report - April 22, 2014
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014