- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
- Padres top Mets, 7-2, as Yonder Alonso returns in style
Lakers sign Elias Harris to multi-year deal
- Updated: August 14, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers signed forward Elias Harris to a multi-year contract, the team announced on Wednesday via general manager Mitch Kupchak.
To be consistent with team policy, terms of the agreement were not made public.
Harris played in all five games and started each for the Lakers’ Las Vegas Summer League team and averaged 10.2 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.2 steals in 27.0 minutes. He adds size and athleticism at 6-foot-8 and will be a key component of the Lakers’ efforts to get younger and build from within.
A native of Germany, Harris starred for the Gonzaga Bulldogs collegiately, where he amassed career averages of 13.8 points, 7.4 rebounds and 1.3 assists. In his senior season with the Zags, he led them along with Kelly Olynyk to a 32-3 record and the school’s first No. 1 ranking in its history.
He also played for his home country, last suiting up internationally in the 2010 FIBA World Championships in Turkey. His maturity and experience should allow him to contribute right away as the Lakers transition into a year with a much younger crop of players who better suit head coach Mike D’Antoni’s system.
It’s not an inspiring hire to say the least, but the Lakers are doing the best they can under the salary cap constraints they’re currently facing. Harris should compete for minutes with Wesley Johnson at the small forward spot.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency - June 29, 2015
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes - June 15, 2015
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons - June 15, 2015