- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
Lakers sign Elias Harris to multi-year deal
- Updated: August 14, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers signed forward Elias Harris to a multi-year contract, the team announced on Wednesday via general manager Mitch Kupchak.
To be consistent with team policy, terms of the agreement were not made public.
Harris played in all five games and started each for the Lakers’ Las Vegas Summer League team and averaged 10.2 points, 5.6 rebounds and 1.2 steals in 27.0 minutes. He adds size and athleticism at 6-foot-8 and will be a key component of the Lakers’ efforts to get younger and build from within.
A native of Germany, Harris starred for the Gonzaga Bulldogs collegiately, where he amassed career averages of 13.8 points, 7.4 rebounds and 1.3 assists. In his senior season with the Zags, he led them along with Kelly Olynyk to a 32-3 record and the school’s first No. 1 ranking in its history.
He also played for his home country, last suiting up internationally in the 2010 FIBA World Championships in Turkey. His maturity and experience should allow him to contribute right away as the Lakers transition into a year with a much younger crop of players who better suit head coach Mike D’Antoni’s system.
It’s not an inspiring hire to say the least, but the Lakers are doing the best they can under the salary cap constraints they’re currently facing. Harris should compete for minutes with Wesley Johnson at the small forward spot.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014