- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
Malcom Floyd injury: Chargers WR to get 2nd opinion on knee
- Updated: August 13, 2013
The San Diego Chargers survived a substantial scare when wide receiver Malcom Floyd went down with what the team called a knee strain on Monday, but according to ESPN.com, the injury is relatively minor and he remains optimistic.
As a precaution, however, Floyd is going to have his MRI results sent to noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews, among others, to confirm the diagnosis. The reason for doing so is because small ligament tears can often go undetected from an initial reading. Andrews is one of the best in the business and has worked with numerous professional and NCAA athletes, so his opinion carries plenty of weight.
Though there are conflicting reports about his status for the Week 1 opener on September 9 against the Houston Texans at Qualcomm Stadium, Floyd is eyeing a timely return to a depleted corps of receivers.
“Hope so,” he told ESPN’s Shelley Smith when asked whether or not he’d be ready for the Bolts’ first game.
The Chargers hope so, too, because they are already thin at the position after Danario Alexander tore his ACL in practice earlier in the month. The injuries haven’t been limited to the offensive die of the ball, as linebacker Manti Te’o is also out with a foot sprain and will miss Thursday’s game against the Chicago Bears.
“He’s doing great today. It was a great relief last night to get the news that we received, said head coach Mike McCoy after practice on Tuesday. “When guys go down you always fear the worst and then we got the news that we did.”
Photo Credit: Christopher Hanewinckel/USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge - November 21, 2014
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor - November 21, 2014
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014