- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
John Elway Stanford jersey to be retired in game against Oregon
- Updated: August 8, 2013
The Stanford Cardinal announced that the No. 7 jersey of former quarterback John Elway will be retired at halftime of their game against the Oregon Ducks on November 7th. Elway is only the third Stanford player to have his jersey number retired and will join Ernie Nevers‘ No. 1 and Jim Plunkett‘s No. 16 to complete this exceptional trio.
“Through the years the No. 7 has meant so much to the Stanford community, most recently with the record-breaking career of Toby Gerhart,” head coach David Shaw said. “Current student-athletes Ty Montgomery and Aziz Shittu both will wear the No. 7 jersey and be the last two to put it on for Stanford University.”
Elway was a two-time Pac-10 Player of the Year and holds the Stanford single-game record for most touchdowns in a game (6), against Oregon State in 1980. In his senior season, Elway was a consensus All-American and in 1983 was the first overall pick in the NFL Draft. In his professional career, he went on to lead the Denver Broncos to two Super Bowl victories and is now the organization’s executive vice president.
If Stanford and Oregon go on to have the season that is predicted, the magnitude of this game could have the weight of a BCS Bowl game or maybe even National Championship implications for both teams. This should be an exciting venue for Elway’s jersey to be retired.
Latest posts by Norm Hightower (see all)
- Oregon football Week 7: 7 observations from the Ducks’ 45-24 win over Washington - October 15, 2013
- Week 5 Preview: Colorado Buffalos vs. Oregon State Beavers - September 28, 2013
- Oregon State football Week 3: 5 observations from the Beavers’ 51-48 win over Utah in OT - September 20, 2013