- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
John Elway Stanford jersey to be retired in game against Oregon
- Updated: August 8, 2013
The Stanford Cardinal announced that the No. 7 jersey of former quarterback John Elway will be retired at halftime of their game against the Oregon Ducks on November 7th. Elway is only the third Stanford player to have his jersey number retired and will join Ernie Nevers‘ No. 1 and Jim Plunkett‘s No. 16 to complete this exceptional trio.
“Through the years the No. 7 has meant so much to the Stanford community, most recently with the record-breaking career of Toby Gerhart,” head coach David Shaw said. “Current student-athletes Ty Montgomery and Aziz Shittu both will wear the No. 7 jersey and be the last two to put it on for Stanford University.”
Elway was a two-time Pac-10 Player of the Year and holds the Stanford single-game record for most touchdowns in a game (6), against Oregon State in 1980. In his senior season, Elway was a consensus All-American and in 1983 was the first overall pick in the NFL Draft. In his professional career, he went on to lead the Denver Broncos to two Super Bowl victories and is now the organization’s executive vice president.
If Stanford and Oregon go on to have the season that is predicted, the magnitude of this game could have the weight of a BCS Bowl game or maybe even National Championship implications for both teams. This should be an exciting venue for Elway’s jersey to be retired.
Latest posts by Norm Hightower (see all)
- Oregon football Week 7: 7 observations from the Ducks’ 45-24 win over Washington - October 15, 2013
- Week 5 Preview: Colorado Buffalos vs. Oregon State Beavers - September 28, 2013
- Oregon State football Week 3: 5 observations from the Beavers’ 51-48 win over Utah in OT - September 20, 2013