- Rudy Gay traded to Sacramento Kings in exchange for Patrick Patterson, 3 others
- Lakers: Immediate expectations for Kobe Bryant
- Kobe Bryant return: Lakers star to debut Sunday vs. Raptors
- Robinson Cano, Mariners agree to 10-year, $240M deal after Jay-Z gets in the way
- Trail Blazers: ‘Rip City’ is a legitimate Western Conference threat
- Seahawks vs. 49ers preview: Seattle can clinch NFC West with season sweep of division rival
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G ‘days’ away from returning
- Why Brent Burns is the key to success in San Jose
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G rules himself for Friday’s game
- Lakers News: Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash practice again
49ers News: Sign CB Eric Wright
- Updated: August 8, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers on Thursday afternoon added depth to their defense by signing former Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Eric Wright to a one-year deal and immediately put him on the Non-Football Injury/Illness List, according to Taylor Price of 49ers.com.
The seven-year veteran was in place to become a 49er on July 19 through a trade with the Buccaneers, but the deal fell through when he failed his physical and was released by Tampa Bay a few hours later. The reacquisition of Wright after the failed trade only signifies the team still had a desire to add his presence to their stout defense.
We are pleased to welcome Eric to the 49ers organization and look forward to his contributions,” 49ers’ general manager Trent Baalke said in a statement released by the team. “Eric is currently tending to a personal matter and he will join the team as soon as possible.”
In order to make space for Wright, San Francisco waived undrafted rookie cornerback Lowell Rose and with his addition to the team it will also count against the 49ers’ 90-man roster limit. Wright can be activated at any point before the final cuts are made at the end of training camp.
The addition of Wright to the team will help soften the blow of losing cornerback Chris Colliver for the season due a torn ACL in his left knee that he suffered in practice last Thursday during a non-contact drill.
In his NFL career, Wright has 81 made starts with 363 tackles, 14 interceptions, 70 pass deflections, five fumble recoveries and three forced fumbles. He has played for the Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Buccaneers, and now the 49ers.
Last season for the Buccaneers, he started in all 10 games which he played in and had 39 tackles, one fumble recovery, one interception, and eight pass deflections.
Latest posts by Bob Garcia (see all)
- Lakers: Immediate expectations for Kobe Bryant - December 8, 2013
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G ‘days’ away from returning - December 5, 2013
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G rules himself for Friday’s game - December 4, 2013