- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
- Steve Kerr impresses at NBA Summer League, despite record
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1
- The Sacramento Kings’ veteran crisis
- NBA Summer League tournament beginning to take shape
49ers News: Sign CB Eric Wright
- Updated: August 8, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers on Thursday afternoon added depth to their defense by signing former Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Eric Wright to a one-year deal and immediately put him on the Non-Football Injury/Illness List, according to Taylor Price of 49ers.com.
The seven-year veteran was in place to become a 49er on July 19 through a trade with the Buccaneers, but the deal fell through when he failed his physical and was released by Tampa Bay a few hours later. The reacquisition of Wright after the failed trade only signifies the team still had a desire to add his presence to their stout defense.
We are pleased to welcome Eric to the 49ers organization and look forward to his contributions,” 49ers’ general manager Trent Baalke said in a statement released by the team. “Eric is currently tending to a personal matter and he will join the team as soon as possible.”
In order to make space for Wright, San Francisco waived undrafted rookie cornerback Lowell Rose and with his addition to the team it will also count against the 49ers’ 90-man roster limit. Wright can be activated at any point before the final cuts are made at the end of training camp.
The addition of Wright to the team will help soften the blow of losing cornerback Chris Colliver for the season due a torn ACL in his left knee that he suffered in practice last Thursday during a non-contact drill.
In his NFL career, Wright has 81 made starts with 363 tackles, 14 interceptions, 70 pass deflections, five fumble recoveries and three forced fumbles. He has played for the Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Buccaneers, and now the 49ers.
Last season for the Buccaneers, he started in all 10 games which he played in and had 39 tackles, one fumble recovery, one interception, and eight pass deflections.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Jeremy Lin aiming to create a new legacy with Lakers - July 24, 2014
- Blazers news: Rip City jerseys will have sleeves in 2014-15 - July 24, 2014
- Blazers news: Thomas Robinson has thumb surgery - July 23, 2014