- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
Chargers news: Danario Alexander suffers torn ACL
- Updated: August 6, 2013
The San Diego Chargers announced on Tuesday that wide receiver Danario Alexander suffered a torn ACL during practice. No other information was made immediately available, though the injury almost certainly means he will miss the entire 2013 season.
The injury marks the first major blow to an offensive player during training camp. The Bolts have managed to stay relatively healthy on that side of the ball, but losing a player who was making big strides forward as one of Philip Rivers‘ primary targets will at the very least be a significant setback.
In 10 games with the Bolts in 2012, Alexander started seven and amassed 37 receptions for 658 yards and seven touchdowns. At 6-foot-5, his size made him a viable target in the red zone when matched up against shorter defensive backs. On Monday, the Chargers released their first depth chart, and Alexander was listed as the starting wideout opposite Malcom Floyd.
If there’s any silver lining for the Chargers, it’s that they are relatively deep at the position. Eddie Royal and Vincent Brown are likely to contend for the other starting spot opposite Malcom Floyd, while rookie Keenan Allen figures to compete for a primary role as well.
Photo Credit: Jake Roth/USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014