- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
- Russell Westbrook injury: Thunder guard exits game vs. Clippers, won’t return
- Chargers news: Bolts acknowledge importance of Miami game
- Julius Randle injury: Lakers rookie suffers broken leg in 1st NBA game
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
Chargers news: Danario Alexander suffers torn ACL
- Updated: August 6, 2013
The San Diego Chargers announced on Tuesday that wide receiver Danario Alexander suffered a torn ACL during practice. No other information was made immediately available, though the injury almost certainly means he will miss the entire 2013 season.
The injury marks the first major blow to an offensive player during training camp. The Bolts have managed to stay relatively healthy on that side of the ball, but losing a player who was making big strides forward as one of Philip Rivers‘ primary targets will at the very least be a significant setback.
In 10 games with the Bolts in 2012, Alexander started seven and amassed 37 receptions for 658 yards and seven touchdowns. At 6-foot-5, his size made him a viable target in the red zone when matched up against shorter defensive backs. On Monday, the Chargers released their first depth chart, and Alexander was listed as the starting wideout opposite Malcom Floyd.
If there’s any silver lining for the Chargers, it’s that they are relatively deep at the position. Eddie Royal and Vincent Brown are likely to contend for the other starting spot opposite Malcom Floyd, while rookie Keenan Allen figures to compete for a primary role as well.
Photo Credit: Jake Roth/USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014