- UCLA LB Anthony Barr earns Lott Award, eyes others
- Blazers news: Wesley Matthews says he’ll enter 3-point contest if invited
- 49ers Anquan Boldin credits Michael Crabtree for big game vs. Seahawks
- USC football news: Trojans set to face Fresno State in Las Vegas Bowl
- NFC West Week 14 roundup: Frank Gore rescues 49ers, Cardinals beat up Rams
- Kobe Bryant’s return: Lakers slow start leads to 106-94 loss vs. Raptors
- Lakers: Patience is key with Kobe Bryant
- Rudy Gay traded to Sacramento Kings in exchange for Patrick Patterson, 3 others
- Lakers: Immediate expectations for Kobe Bryant
- Kobe Bryant return: Lakers star to debut Sunday vs. Raptors
Chargers news: Danario Alexander suffers torn ACL
- Updated: August 6, 2013
The San Diego Chargers announced on Tuesday that wide receiver Danario Alexander suffered a torn ACL during practice. No other information was made immediately available, though the injury almost certainly means he will miss the entire 2013 season.
The injury marks the first major blow to an offensive player during training camp. The Bolts have managed to stay relatively healthy on that side of the ball, but losing a player who was making big strides forward as one of Philip Rivers‘ primary targets will at the very least be a significant setback.
In 10 games with the Bolts in 2012, Alexander started seven and amassed 37 receptions for 658 yards and seven touchdowns. At 6-foot-5, his size made him a viable target in the red zone when matched up against shorter defensive backs. On Monday, the Chargers released their first depth chart, and Alexander was listed as the starting wideout opposite Malcom Floyd.
If there’s any silver lining for the Chargers, it’s that they are relatively deep at the position. Eddie Royal and Vincent Brown are likely to contend for the other starting spot opposite Malcom Floyd, while rookie Keenan Allen figures to compete for a primary role as well.
Photo Credit: Jake Roth/USA TODAY Sports
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- UCLA LB Anthony Barr earns Lott Award, eyes others - December 9, 2013
- Blazers news: Wesley Matthews says he’ll enter 3-point contest if invited - December 9, 2013
- USC football news: Trojans set to face Fresno State in Las Vegas Bowl - December 9, 2013