- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
Is Danny Woodhead the new Darren Sproles?
- Updated: August 5, 2013
He looks a lot like the last undersized tailback who used to throw defenses off with his ability to change the pace of the running game.
Darren Sproles gave the Chargers a different look from LaDainian Tomlinson and Ryan Mathews for five seasons, and was especially adept at catching the ball and making big plays out in space. He parlayed his success with the Bolts into a $7.283 million payday as a backup and then a multi-year deal with the New Orleans Saints.
For that team, he was worth every penny, and so too, is Woodhead to the 2013 squad. The fifth-year pro has cemented himself as a valuable NFL asset, and he’s the reason the Chargers are comfortable giving him a healthy dose of touches and alleviating some of the heavy burden on the fragile shoulders of Mathews. The league as a whole is largely headed in the direction of having multiple backs share the workload rather than have a traditional workhorse.
Mike McCoy has a weapon that will make things easier for everyone to transition to a new offense and has proven himself to be capable in any role when called upon. Not only can he build on his careerr-high 40 catches out of the backfield in 2012, but he’s strong in pass protection. That makes him available in any situation, and that’s been cemented by his role in training camp.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014