- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
- Steve Kerr impresses at NBA Summer League, despite record
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1
- The Sacramento Kings’ veteran crisis
- NBA Summer League tournament beginning to take shape
Is Danny Woodhead the new Darren Sproles?
- Updated: August 5, 2013
He looks a lot like the last undersized tailback who used to throw defenses off with his ability to change the pace of the running game.
Darren Sproles gave the Chargers a different look from LaDainian Tomlinson and Ryan Mathews for five seasons, and was especially adept at catching the ball and making big plays out in space. He parlayed his success with the Bolts into a $7.283 million payday as a backup and then a multi-year deal with the New Orleans Saints.
For that team, he was worth every penny, and so too, is Woodhead to the 2013 squad. The fifth-year pro has cemented himself as a valuable NFL asset, and he’s the reason the Chargers are comfortable giving him a healthy dose of touches and alleviating some of the heavy burden on the fragile shoulders of Mathews. The league as a whole is largely headed in the direction of having multiple backs share the workload rather than have a traditional workhorse.
Mike McCoy has a weapon that will make things easier for everyone to transition to a new offense and has proven himself to be capable in any role when called upon. Not only can he build on his careerr-high 40 catches out of the backfield in 2012, but he’s strong in pass protection. That makes him available in any situation, and that’s been cemented by his role in training camp.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1 - July 17, 2014