- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
- NaVorro Bowman brings needed lift to 49ers
- Kenny Stabler named Pro Football Hall of Fame senior finalist
- Sounders FC score 2 late goals against CD Olimpia in CONCACAF Champions League
Chargers news: Jerrell Harris added at LB
- Updated: August 5, 2013
The San Diego Chargers signed linebacker Jerrell Harris to an undisclosed contract, the team announced on Monday.
The 6-foot-3, 242-pound outside linebacker spent 2012 among the practice squads of the Jacksonville Jaguars, New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders. He was teammates with D.J. Fluker at the University of Alabama, where he played on the 2009 and 2011 national championship teams under head coach Nick Saban. The Atlanta Falcons signed him as an undrafted free agent out of college.
The Gadsden, Ala. native will add depth at the position and compete to earn a spot on the 53-man roster. The Chargers released their initial depth chart on Monday, and Dwight Freeney and Jarret Johnson are currently listed as the two starters at outside linebacker. He’ll have to compete with backups Larry English, Tourek Williams, Devan Walker, Thomas Kaiser and Frank Beltre in order to secure a spot on the final roster.
At just 24 years-old, he’ll be one of many youngsters on the new-look defense and come into camp just like everyone — with questions as to just what he can bring to the table.
The Chargers will face the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday in their first preseason action of 2013.
Photo Credit: Curtis Compton | Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game - August 27, 2015
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback - August 27, 2015
- Blue Jays vs. Angels: East vs. West in potential October showdown - August 21, 2015