- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
Chargers news: Jerrell Harris added at LB
- Updated: August 5, 2013
The San Diego Chargers signed linebacker Jerrell Harris to an undisclosed contract, the team announced on Monday.
The 6-foot-3, 242-pound outside linebacker spent 2012 among the practice squads of the Jacksonville Jaguars, New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders. He was teammates with D.J. Fluker at the University of Alabama, where he played on the 2009 and 2011 national championship teams under head coach Nick Saban. The Atlanta Falcons signed him as an undrafted free agent out of college.
The Gadsden, Ala. native will add depth at the position and compete to earn a spot on the 53-man roster. The Chargers released their initial depth chart on Monday, and Dwight Freeney and Jarret Johnson are currently listed as the two starters at outside linebacker. He’ll have to compete with backups Larry English, Tourek Williams, Devan Walker, Thomas Kaiser and Frank Beltre in order to secure a spot on the final roster.
At just 24 years-old, he’ll be one of many youngsters on the new-look defense and come into camp just like everyone — with questions as to just what he can bring to the table.
The Chargers will face the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday in their first preseason action of 2013.
Photo Credit: Curtis Compton | Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries - September 17, 2015
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors - September 17, 2015
- Aldon Smith signs 1-year deal with Raiders, charged with three crimes on same day - September 11, 2015