- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
Chargers news: Jerrell Harris added at LB
- Updated: August 5, 2013
The San Diego Chargers signed linebacker Jerrell Harris to an undisclosed contract, the team announced on Monday.
The 6-foot-3, 242-pound outside linebacker spent 2012 among the practice squads of the Jacksonville Jaguars, New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders. He was teammates with D.J. Fluker at the University of Alabama, where he played on the 2009 and 2011 national championship teams under head coach Nick Saban. The Atlanta Falcons signed him as an undrafted free agent out of college.
The Gadsden, Ala. native will add depth at the position and compete to earn a spot on the 53-man roster. The Chargers released their initial depth chart on Monday, and Dwight Freeney and Jarret Johnson are currently listed as the two starters at outside linebacker. He’ll have to compete with backups Larry English, Tourek Williams, Devan Walker, Thomas Kaiser and Frank Beltre in order to secure a spot on the final roster.
At just 24 years-old, he’ll be one of many youngsters on the new-look defense and come into camp just like everyone — with questions as to just what he can bring to the table.
The Chargers will face the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday in their first preseason action of 2013.
Photo Credit: Curtis Compton | Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’ - April 27, 2015
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015