- Chargers vs. Bills, Week 3: Can Bolts build off big win?
- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
Chargers news: Jerrell Harris added at LB
- Updated: August 5, 2013
The San Diego Chargers signed linebacker Jerrell Harris to an undisclosed contract, the team announced on Monday.
The 6-foot-3, 242-pound outside linebacker spent 2012 among the practice squads of the Jacksonville Jaguars, New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders. He was teammates with D.J. Fluker at the University of Alabama, where he played on the 2009 and 2011 national championship teams under head coach Nick Saban. The Atlanta Falcons signed him as an undrafted free agent out of college.
The Gadsden, Ala. native will add depth at the position and compete to earn a spot on the 53-man roster. The Chargers released their initial depth chart on Monday, and Dwight Freeney and Jarret Johnson are currently listed as the two starters at outside linebacker. He’ll have to compete with backups Larry English, Tourek Williams, Devan Walker, Thomas Kaiser and Frank Beltre in order to secure a spot on the final roster.
At just 24 years-old, he’ll be one of many youngsters on the new-look defense and come into camp just like everyone — with questions as to just what he can bring to the table.
The Chargers will face the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday in their first preseason action of 2013.
Photo Credit: Curtis Compton | Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014