- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament
- MWC Championship 2015: Winston Shepard drops 16 to rout Colorado State in semifinal
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters
- Cowboys sign Darren McFadden for 2 years, $5.85 million
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
Chargers news: Jerrell Harris added at LB
- Updated: August 5, 2013
The San Diego Chargers signed linebacker Jerrell Harris to an undisclosed contract, the team announced on Monday.
The 6-foot-3, 242-pound outside linebacker spent 2012 among the practice squads of the Jacksonville Jaguars, New England Patriots and Oakland Raiders. He was teammates with D.J. Fluker at the University of Alabama, where he played on the 2009 and 2011 national championship teams under head coach Nick Saban. The Atlanta Falcons signed him as an undrafted free agent out of college.
The Gadsden, Ala. native will add depth at the position and compete to earn a spot on the 53-man roster. The Chargers released their initial depth chart on Monday, and Dwight Freeney and Jarret Johnson are currently listed as the two starters at outside linebacker. He’ll have to compete with backups Larry English, Tourek Williams, Devan Walker, Thomas Kaiser and Frank Beltre in order to secure a spot on the final roster.
At just 24 years-old, he’ll be one of many youngsters on the new-look defense and come into camp just like everyone — with questions as to just what he can bring to the table.
The Chargers will face the Seattle Seahawks on Thursday in their first preseason action of 2013.
Photo Credit: Curtis Compton | Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015
- Tiger Woods to skip Bay Hill, hopeful on Masters - March 13, 2015