- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
Chiefs OC: Alex Smith ‘the best in the league’
- Updated: August 3, 2013
In fact, the coach told the Kansas City Star on Thursday that he felt there were none better.
“Ultimately, every team has to have a quarterback. I think we have the best in the league, he told the Star. “There are a lot of great ones, but over time, Alex has proven he can get it done. He’s a sharp guy, he brings a wealth of knowledge, he’s experienced, he’s a proven winner the last couple of years, and he needs a team to embrace him.”
There’s a lot to that brief statement.
In saying that he needs a team to welcome him, Pederson is implying that the 49ers didn’t. In his first several seasons after being drafted No. 1 overall out of Utah, Smith had to endure a coaching carousel where nearly every year, he had to learn a new offense and adjust to new coaches. That wore on him until head coach Jim Harbaugh came to town, expressed confidence in him and gave him the opportunity to succeed.
He had his best season under Harbaugh and was on his way to another strong year until Colin Kaepernick emerged as a superstar and won the job from him in practice after Smith suffered a concussion against the St. Louis Rams in 2012. Still, Pederson is correct that Smith will get a fresh start and a chance to prove his coach either prophetic or idiotic.
Smith is 19-5-1 as a starter over the last two seasons and has shown promise as a passer. However, it will be a tall order to live up to the lofty expectations of those in the Midwest if they buy what Pederson’s selling.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’ - April 27, 2015
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015