- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback
- Jered Weaver says dugout outburst not aimed at Mike Trout
- Chargers news: Chris Watt should be getting more attention than D.J. Fluker
- Connor Halliday ready to restart professional football career
- Raiders, Taylor Mays officially agree to contract terms
- NaVorro Bowman brings needed lift to 49ers
- Kenny Stabler named Pro Football Hall of Fame senior finalist
- Sounders FC score 2 late goals against CD Olimpia in CONCACAF Champions League
49ers news: Nnamdi Asomugha may not make 53-man roster
- Updated: August 3, 2013
When the San Francisco 49ers brought in cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, they were looking for the former Cal star to experience a career resurgence; instead, he’s taken a step backwards and may not even land a roster spot, according to NFL.com.
Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio told reporters on Friday that he doesn’t know what he has in his veteran. The Niners seemingly have plenty of room given Chris Culliver‘s torn ACL, but there are major questions still surrounding his effectiveness.
“We didn’t really know what we were getting when we got Nnamdi. He’s had some good days out here and some days where you weren’t sure if he was going to still have it,” Fangio said, via The Associated Press. “I think we’re kind of in between with him right now. Hopefully he’ll be able to still have some gas left in his tank to go out there and play like he did prior to going to Philadelphia. So, I think the jury is still out there.”
If it turns out that Asomugha can’t cut it, the Niners won’t take any hit financially. His contract is only for one year and has no guarantees.
From 2008-2010 while playing with the Oakland Raiders, Asomugha was one of the most feared cornerbacks in the league. He was an All-Pro in 2008 and 2010 and made the Pro Bowl three times during that span.
Since then, the 32-year-old has been beaten in coverage by opponents consistently and may be showing his age. Since recording eight interceptions in 2006, he’s only recorded seven since. With the loss of Dashon Goldson, the secondary has a lot of work to do in order to become recognized as one of the league’s best again.
One player who was going to be at least a part of that return to prominence looks as if he may not make a difference.
Photo Credit: AP
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game - August 27, 2015
- Josh Rosen beats out Jerry Neuheisel as UCLA starting quarterback - August 27, 2015
- Blue Jays vs. Angels: East vs. West in potential October showdown - August 21, 2015