- Oakland Athletics ace Scott Kazmir headed to Houston
- Antonio Gates suspension: A look at Chargers tight ends who must step up
- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
49ers training camp 2013: Patrick Willis sustains right hand injury
- Updated: August 1, 2013
San Francisco 49ers inside linebacker Patrick Willis sustained a right hand injury in training camp on Wednesday and will undergo X-rays on Thursday in order to find the extent of the damage, according to CSNBayArea.com.
The injury appeared to take place when he collided with fullback Bruce Miller. Willis then sat out the remainder of practice and watched from the sidelines after the team medical staff examined his hand and tended to it by placing a large wrap around it. After practice, he didn’t sign autographs because of the hand injury, and pointed to the taped appendage when fans asked.
His injury history is troubling when it comes to the hand in question. In 2010, he fractured it and played two games with the injury, and in 2007, he broke the same hand and had to play with a cast.
Willis is the cornerstone to the 49ers’ defense and the undisputed leader on that side of the ball. Given the 49ers’ collection of injuries to key players, missing Willis for any period of time during the regular season would be devastating. The 49er faithful are all holding their breath while awaiting further details.
Photo Credit: Cary Edmondson / USA TODAY Sports