- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
- UCLA to replace waterlogged court at Pauley Pavilion
Brian Wilson, Dodgers agree to terms
- Updated: July 30, 2013
Wilson will begin with a stint in the minor leagues after he reports to the Dodgers’ training facility in Arizona. The plan is then to have him join the big club in approximately two weeks. Terms of the contract were not made immediately available.
And of course, everyone wants to know:
And, yes, for those asking, Brian Wilson still has the beard.
Wilson fills a void at the closer role the Dodgers desperately need as they try to continue their torrid pace into the postseason. The Dodgers currently rank fourth in the National League with 30 collective saves. They added Carlos Marmol on July 2 via a trade with the Chicago Cubs to shore up the role, but in just 2.2 innings pitched, he gave up six hits and four earned runs to collect a 13.50 ERA.
“The Beard” last played on April 12, 2012, the second start of that season. During the game, he injured his throwing elbow and underwent Tommy John surgery for the second time in his career, rehabbing ever since. The Giants made him non-tendered after the 2012 season and became a free agent.
If healthy, Wilson is exactly the type of power pitcher the Dodgers can use in the closer’s role. They are 56-48 and in first place in the NL West after falling as far back as last place. The emergence of Yasiel Puig and resurgence of players such as Andre Ethier and Adrian Gonzalez has made them one of the hottest teams in baseball.
Adding a piece like Wilson could be the kind of move that vaults them into the playoffs with substantial momentum given Wilson’s familiarity with the division and his championship pedigree.
Photo Credit: CBL2 / Wikimedia Commons
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014
- UCLA to replace waterlogged court at Pauley Pavilion - August 2, 2014