- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
Brian Wilson, Dodgers agree to terms
- Updated: July 30, 2013
Wilson will begin with a stint in the minor leagues after he reports to the Dodgers’ training facility in Arizona. The plan is then to have him join the big club in approximately two weeks. Terms of the contract were not made immediately available.
And of course, everyone wants to know:
And, yes, for those asking, Brian Wilson still has the beard.
Wilson fills a void at the closer role the Dodgers desperately need as they try to continue their torrid pace into the postseason. The Dodgers currently rank fourth in the National League with 30 collective saves. They added Carlos Marmol on July 2 via a trade with the Chicago Cubs to shore up the role, but in just 2.2 innings pitched, he gave up six hits and four earned runs to collect a 13.50 ERA.
“The Beard” last played on April 12, 2012, the second start of that season. During the game, he injured his throwing elbow and underwent Tommy John surgery for the second time in his career, rehabbing ever since. The Giants made him non-tendered after the 2012 season and became a free agent.
If healthy, Wilson is exactly the type of power pitcher the Dodgers can use in the closer’s role. They are 56-48 and in first place in the NL West after falling as far back as last place. The emergence of Yasiel Puig and resurgence of players such as Andre Ethier and Adrian Gonzalez has made them one of the hottest teams in baseball.
Adding a piece like Wilson could be the kind of move that vaults them into the playoffs with substantial momentum given Wilson’s familiarity with the division and his championship pedigree.
Photo Credit: CBL2 / Wikimedia Commons
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ - February 23, 2015
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League - February 21, 2015
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash - February 21, 2015