- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
- Pablo Sandoval credits teammates with weight loss, increased fitness
Brian Wilson, Dodgers agree to terms
- Updated: July 30, 2013
Wilson will begin with a stint in the minor leagues after he reports to the Dodgers’ training facility in Arizona. The plan is then to have him join the big club in approximately two weeks. Terms of the contract were not made immediately available.
And of course, everyone wants to know:
And, yes, for those asking, Brian Wilson still has the beard.
Wilson fills a void at the closer role the Dodgers desperately need as they try to continue their torrid pace into the postseason. The Dodgers currently rank fourth in the National League with 30 collective saves. They added Carlos Marmol on July 2 via a trade with the Chicago Cubs to shore up the role, but in just 2.2 innings pitched, he gave up six hits and four earned runs to collect a 13.50 ERA.
“The Beard” last played on April 12, 2012, the second start of that season. During the game, he injured his throwing elbow and underwent Tommy John surgery for the second time in his career, rehabbing ever since. The Giants made him non-tendered after the 2012 season and became a free agent.
If healthy, Wilson is exactly the type of power pitcher the Dodgers can use in the closer’s role. They are 56-48 and in first place in the NL West after falling as far back as last place. The emergence of Yasiel Puig and resurgence of players such as Andre Ethier and Adrian Gonzalez has made them one of the hottest teams in baseball.
Adding a piece like Wilson could be the kind of move that vaults them into the playoffs with substantial momentum given Wilson’s familiarity with the division and his championship pedigree.
Photo Credit: CBL2 / Wikimedia Commons
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Ty Lawson breaks Jodie Meeks’ ankles, adds insult to Lakers’ woes - March 7, 2014
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks - March 7, 2014
- VIDEO: Mike Trout, Yasiel Puig do battle in Spring Training - March 7, 2014