- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
NFL training camp 2013: 3 best and worst stories so far
- Updated: July 29, 2013
NFL training camp has caused quite a stirrup so far this offseason. From the good to the bad, every team has something to look forward to in 2013 before the actual season gets underway. Here’s a look at some of the best and worst stories taking place this during the 2013 edition of NFL training camp.
Best #1: Rookie watch
Although this year’s rookie class wasn’t the most exciting, training camp is always a time to closely watch the newest players to join the NFL. The West Coast teams have their fair share of rookies to watch in training camp this offseason:
Oakland Raiders: CB D.J. Hayden, TE Nick Kasa, T Menelik Watson, QB Tyler Wilson
San Diego Chargers: WR Keenan Allen, T D.J. Fluker, ILB Manti Te’o, OLB Tourek Williams
San Francisco 49ers: RB Marcus Lattimore, TE Vance McDonald, WR Quinton Patton, FS Eric Reid
Seattle Seahawks: WR Chris Harper, DT Jordan Hill, RB Christine Michael, DT Jesse Williams
Best #2: Quarterback battles
It feels like there are more quarterback battles in the NFL than ever before, which will only add to the excitement of training camps. In total, there are five teams (Buffalo Bills, Jacksonville Jaguars, New York Jets, Oakland Raiders and Philadelphia Eagles) with definite questions at quarterback and unknowns as to who will start to begin the season. With so much importance placed on the starting quarterback, these battles will be interesting to follow before the start of the regular season.
Best #3. 49ers vs. Seahawks rivalry
From Seattle fans trying to buy a brick at San Francisco’s new stadium to a picture of Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson “Kaepernicking,” this rivalry between two Super Bowl contenders has continued to heat up this offseason. With a Week 2 matchup in Seattle taking place near the beginning of the NFL season, both teams have plenty of preparation in store before the big matchup.
Worst #1: ACL injuries rampant
Just this past weekend alone, two established NFL players went down with season-ending ACL injuries. While Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Jeremy Maclin suffered the injury in a contract year, Denver Broncos center Dan Koppen went down this weekend as well, potentially affecting Peyton Manning’s future success this season. Devastating injuries like these are always disappointing to see.
Worst #2: Veterans out of work
By now, teams are looking at their current rosters and deciding who to cut for their 53-man roster. However, there are still many big-name veteran players who have not caught on with any teams and are waiting for an opportunity to continue their NFL careers. Here’s a list of some of the more notable-names still available: DE John Abraham, TE Dallas Clark, WR Brandon Lloyd, RB Willis McGahee, WR Randy Moss, FS Kerry Rhodes, OLB Bart Scott, DT Richard Seymour, OLB Takeo Spikes, RB Michael Turner.
Worst #3: Aaron Hernandez
While the New England Patriots have done the best they could to dissipate this situation, the early part of NFL training camp was centered on Hernandez’s legal situation. Even though the franchise made the right decision of releasing him immediately, it left a black mark on the team’s “Patriot Way.”
Photo Credit: Kirby Lee/USA TODAY Sports
Follow and interact with Austin Chang on Twitter @_austinchang.
Latest posts by Austin Chang (see all)
- NFC West Week 4 roundup: 49ers dominate Rams, Seahawks win in overtime - September 30, 2013
- NFC West Week 3 roundup: Seahawks only bright spot in poor showing by division - September 23, 2013
- What will Trent Richardson do in Colts debut against 49ers? - September 22, 2013