- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Seahawks rank No. 4 in NBC Sports’ preseason power rankings
- Updated: July 24, 2013
The Seattle Seahawks may have taken a back seat to the San Francisco 49ers when it was all said and done last season, but they’re not fooling anyone — they are an outstanding football team.
Now, they’re being recognized as such. NBC Sports recognized the ‘Hawks as the fourth-best team in its 2013 preseason power rankings released on Wednesday. They were dominant on both sides of the ball last season, and they’ve only gotten better. This year, the 49ers’ biggest threat to returning to the Super Bowl and successfully defend their NFC crown may lie in their own division.
The No. 1 defense in terms of points allowed from a season ago somehow improved, despite already boasting big talker and big playmaker Richard Sherman and his running mate Brandon Browner. They were adept at stopping the pass and creating points on defense, and that trend should continue.
The Seahawks put up 50 points in consecutive weeks against the Arizona Cardinals and Buffalo Bills. They narrowly missed a chance to face San Francisco in the NFC Championship game with a brutal loss to the Atlanta Falcons.But now, they’re ready to take on all comers and fight for NFL supremacy. Quarterback Russell Wilson may still be the league’s best-kept secret playing in the secluded Pacific Northwest and in the shadow of Colin Kaepernick. Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck dominate the talk of his draft class, but Wilson has proven he can be every bit as effective as any of his peers.
There’s a lot to be excited about in Seattle these days. Though the city was unsuccessful in its bid to bring an NBA franchise to town, the boys at The Link could make sports fans in the area have a short memory once football season rolls around.
Photo by Vladimir Minkov / Wikimedia Commons
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70 - December 5, 2014