- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
- Steve Kerr impresses at NBA Summer League, despite record
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1
- The Sacramento Kings’ veteran crisis
- NBA Summer League tournament beginning to take shape
- 5 NBA Summer League players who could earn rotation spots
Seahawks rank No. 4 in NBC Sports’ preseason power rankings
- Updated: July 24, 2013
The Seattle Seahawks may have taken a back seat to the San Francisco 49ers when it was all said and done last season, but they’re not fooling anyone — they are an outstanding football team.
Now, they’re being recognized as such. NBC Sports recognized the ‘Hawks as the fourth-best team in its 2013 preseason power rankings released on Wednesday. They were dominant on both sides of the ball last season, and they’ve only gotten better. This year, the 49ers’ biggest threat to returning to the Super Bowl and successfully defend their NFC crown may lie in their own division.
The No. 1 defense in terms of points allowed from a season ago somehow improved, despite already boasting big talker and big playmaker Richard Sherman and his running mate Brandon Browner. They were adept at stopping the pass and creating points on defense, and that trend should continue.
The Seahawks put up 50 points in consecutive weeks against the Arizona Cardinals and Buffalo Bills. They narrowly missed a chance to face San Francisco in the NFC Championship game with a brutal loss to the Atlanta Falcons.But now, they’re ready to take on all comers and fight for NFL supremacy. Quarterback Russell Wilson may still be the league’s best-kept secret playing in the secluded Pacific Northwest and in the shadow of Colin Kaepernick. Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck dominate the talk of his draft class, but Wilson has proven he can be every bit as effective as any of his peers.
There’s a lot to be excited about in Seattle these days. Though the city was unsuccessful in its bid to bring an NBA franchise to town, the boys at The Link could make sports fans in the area have a short memory once football season rolls around.
Photo by Vladimir Minkov / Wikimedia Commons
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1 - July 17, 2014