- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
Seahawks rank No. 4 in NBC Sports’ preseason power rankings
- Updated: July 24, 2013
The Seattle Seahawks may have taken a back seat to the San Francisco 49ers when it was all said and done last season, but they’re not fooling anyone — they are an outstanding football team.
Now, they’re being recognized as such. NBC Sports recognized the ‘Hawks as the fourth-best team in its 2013 preseason power rankings released on Wednesday. They were dominant on both sides of the ball last season, and they’ve only gotten better. This year, the 49ers’ biggest threat to returning to the Super Bowl and successfully defend their NFC crown may lie in their own division.
The No. 1 defense in terms of points allowed from a season ago somehow improved, despite already boasting big talker and big playmaker Richard Sherman and his running mate Brandon Browner. They were adept at stopping the pass and creating points on defense, and that trend should continue.
The Seahawks put up 50 points in consecutive weeks against the Arizona Cardinals and Buffalo Bills. They narrowly missed a chance to face San Francisco in the NFC Championship game with a brutal loss to the Atlanta Falcons.But now, they’re ready to take on all comers and fight for NFL supremacy. Quarterback Russell Wilson may still be the league’s best-kept secret playing in the secluded Pacific Northwest and in the shadow of Colin Kaepernick. Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck dominate the talk of his draft class, but Wilson has proven he can be every bit as effective as any of his peers.
There’s a lot to be excited about in Seattle these days. Though the city was unsuccessful in its bid to bring an NBA franchise to town, the boys at The Link could make sports fans in the area have a short memory once football season rolls around.
Photo by Vladimir Minkov / Wikimedia Commons
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game - March 9, 2014
- VIDEO: Blake Griffin feeds DeAndre Jordan vs. Hawks - March 8, 2014
- VIDEO: Ty Lawson breaks Jodie Meeks’ ankles, adds insult to Lakers’ woes - March 7, 2014