- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Sources: Kevin Durant to play in LA Drew League this weekend
- Updated: July 23, 2013
NBA superstar Kevin Durant will suit up in the West Coast’s most famous pick-up basketball league this weekend in the famous Drew League, according to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.
Multiple sources confirmed that he will play, but whether he will play on Saturday or Sunday is still not known.
Established in 1973, the Drew League is the gold standard of pro-am basketball in Southern California and is known for including some of the NBA’s top talent. Los Angeles natives especially frequent the high school gym where players showcase their ability and compete hard, though not always at 100 percent. The games are competitive, and thanks to the internet, there are highlight packages available everywhere.
Los Angeles Lakers newly-acquired swingman Nick Young, free agent Brandon Jennings and Houston Rockets superstar James Harden are all regular participants in the exhibition and each call Los Angeles home. The NBA’s biggest names, including Durant, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James have all played Drew League basketball at some point in recent years.
The best thing about the league for starved NBA fans who may be in the area is that the games are free to attend and are held every weekend throughout the summer. When the stars come out, fans are encouraged to show up early, but the atmosphere is welcoming and friendly. If Durant puts on an exhibition anything like he did last time, then it’ll be worth the wait.
Photo Credit: Noah Graham / Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70 - December 5, 2014