- Patrick Peterson ‘having fun’ with Richard Sherman feud
- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
Sources: Kevin Durant to play in LA Drew League this weekend
- Updated: July 23, 2013
NBA superstar Kevin Durant will suit up in the West Coast’s most famous pick-up basketball league this weekend in the famous Drew League, according to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News.
Multiple sources confirmed that he will play, but whether he will play on Saturday or Sunday is still not known.
Established in 1973, the Drew League is the gold standard of pro-am basketball in Southern California and is known for including some of the NBA’s top talent. Los Angeles natives especially frequent the high school gym where players showcase their ability and compete hard, though not always at 100 percent. The games are competitive, and thanks to the internet, there are highlight packages available everywhere.
Los Angeles Lakers newly-acquired swingman Nick Young, free agent Brandon Jennings and Houston Rockets superstar James Harden are all regular participants in the exhibition and each call Los Angeles home. The NBA’s biggest names, including Durant, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James have all played Drew League basketball at some point in recent years.
The best thing about the league for starved NBA fans who may be in the area is that the games are free to attend and are held every weekend throughout the summer. When the stars come out, fans are encouraged to show up early, but the atmosphere is welcoming and friendly. If Durant puts on an exhibition anything like he did last time, then it’ll be worth the wait.
Photo Credit: Noah Graham / Getty Images
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Patrick Peterson ‘having fun’ with Richard Sherman feud - July 31, 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014