- Chargers notes: Do the Bolts have the best receiving corps in football?
- Dennis Allen’s greatest Raiders moments
- Los Angeles Clippers Media Day 2014: ‘This is our time’
- Jaguars vs. Chargers, Week 4: Bolts win third straight, 33-14
- 4 things learned about the NFC West
- Pac-12 Las Vegas Outlook: Week 4
- Ben McLemore relaxed after lost rookie year
- Giants playoff tickets 209 percent above season average
- Angels playoff tickets up 257 percent from season average
- Marcus Mariota and the way-too-early Heisman watch
NBA Summer League 2013: C.J. McCollum did his best Carmelo Anthony impression
- Updated: July 19, 2013
Portland Trail Blazers No. 10 overall pick C.J. McCollum embraced the proving ground that is the NBA Summer League as his chance to prove he can score at an NBA level. He did just that, but he also took a lot of shots to do it.
He averaged 20.2 shots per game in a 40-minute league and when projected out to a 48-minute game, that would be more than Carmelo Anthony‘s league-leading 22.2 field goal attempts per game in 2012-13. That’s still OK, however, because the Blazers’ coaching staff gave him the green light. He was supposed to shoot and do so often. Now, he’ll have a full training camp and be able to pick up more nuances of the NBA game.
Again, the summer was McCollum’s chance to prove he belonged. He’s had to do it his entire basketball career, first as an undersized prep star and next as a mid-major standout among his counterparts from more elite programs. In the NBA, questions about his size as well as ability to score against the world’s best. Las Vegas was a small sample size of games, but if the trend is any indicator, McCollum will be able to contribute to the rotation right away.
He hit the game tying shot against the Chicago Bulls on July 16 in a 27-point output and showed a willingness to take charge with the game on the line. For someone with questions as to whether or not he could handle the large stage, that’s a major statement.
McCollum’s an example of a young player with many question marks who used the platform of the summer tournament to answer a lot of them and prove he belongs.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014
- Bud Black on Padres long-term success: ‘It’s more personal’ - September 23, 2014
- 49ers, Cardinals fans brawl in Glendale: How San Francisco lost twice - September 23, 2014