- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
- UCLA to replace waterlogged court at Pauley Pavilion
Lakers sign F Wesley Johnson
- Updated: July 16, 2013
The 26-year-old wingman has played three seasons in the NBA with the Suns and spent his first two years with the Minnesota Timberwolves, who drafted him with the fourth overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft.
In the 2012-13 season, Johnson played in 50 games averaging 8.0 points and 2.5 rebounds in a career-low 19.1 minutes per game. Out of Syracuse, Johnson was a highly-touted player known for his athleticism, mid-range game and defensive presence.
The Lakers published a press release Monday about the signing of Johnson:
“Wesley is a young, athletic player who runs the floor well and is an excellent defender,” general manager Mitch Kupchak said in the press release. “He’s a developing player who we think could become a good NBA player for years to come. He’s also a great kid and we’re happy to add him to our team.”
Johnson is a versatile player who can play both the shooting guard and the small forward position. He has great length with his 7’1 wingspan and quickness that gives him the ability to guard both shooting guards and small forwards.
The addition of Johnson to the Lakers’ roster adds much needed depth to the small forward position after the team used their amnesty clause last week to release small forward Metta World Peace.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Lakers ranked 1st by ESPN as team with most turmoil in 2014-15 - August 20, 2014
- Byron Scott begins to shape coaching staff - August 20, 2014
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 33: Clippers officially sold to Steve Ballmer, Tiger Woods withdraws from Ryder Cup - August 18, 2014