- NCAA Tournament 2014: San Diego State head coach Steve Fisher eyeing top-4 seed
- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
Lakers sign F Wesley Johnson
- Updated: July 16, 2013
The 26-year-old wingman has played three seasons in the NBA with the Suns and spent his first two years with the Minnesota Timberwolves, who drafted him with the fourth overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft.
In the 2012-13 season, Johnson played in 50 games averaging 8.0 points and 2.5 rebounds in a career-low 19.1 minutes per game. Out of Syracuse, Johnson was a highly-touted player known for his athleticism, mid-range game and defensive presence.
The Lakers published a press release Monday about the signing of Johnson:
“Wesley is a young, athletic player who runs the floor well and is an excellent defender,” general manager Mitch Kupchak said in the press release. “He’s a developing player who we think could become a good NBA player for years to come. He’s also a great kid and we’re happy to add him to our team.”
Johnson is a versatile player who can play both the shooting guard and the small forward position. He has great length with his 7’1 wingspan and quickness that gives him the ability to guard both shooting guards and small forwards.
The addition of Johnson to the Lakers’ roster adds much needed depth to the small forward position after the team used their amnesty clause last week to release small forward Metta World Peace.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach likely to take Knicks job - March 11, 2014
- NFL free agency 2014: 5 AFC West players who could change teams - March 10, 2014
- Jodie Meeks continues to provide Lakers a consistent scoring punch - March 9, 2014