- Oakland Athletics ace Scott Kazmir headed to Houston
- Antonio Gates suspension: A look at Chargers tight ends who must step up
- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
Lakers sign F Wesley Johnson
- Updated: July 16, 2013
The 26-year-old wingman has played three seasons in the NBA with the Suns and spent his first two years with the Minnesota Timberwolves, who drafted him with the fourth overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft.
In the 2012-13 season, Johnson played in 50 games averaging 8.0 points and 2.5 rebounds in a career-low 19.1 minutes per game. Out of Syracuse, Johnson was a highly-touted player known for his athleticism, mid-range game and defensive presence.
The Lakers published a press release Monday about the signing of Johnson:
“Wesley is a young, athletic player who runs the floor well and is an excellent defender,” general manager Mitch Kupchak said in the press release. “He’s a developing player who we think could become a good NBA player for years to come. He’s also a great kid and we’re happy to add him to our team.”
Johnson is a versatile player who can play both the shooting guard and the small forward position. He has great length with his 7’1 wingspan and quickness that gives him the ability to guard both shooting guards and small forwards.
The addition of Johnson to the Lakers’ roster adds much needed depth to the small forward position after the team used their amnesty clause last week to release small forward Metta World Peace.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Byron Scott says Kobe Bryant could play in the post - July 29, 2015
- Mike Trout injury: MRI reveals no structural damage to wrist - July 29, 2015
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino, David Murphy, and David DeJesus - July 29, 2015