- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
Lakers sign F Wesley Johnson
- Updated: July 16, 2013
The 26-year-old wingman has played three seasons in the NBA with the Suns and spent his first two years with the Minnesota Timberwolves, who drafted him with the fourth overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft.
In the 2012-13 season, Johnson played in 50 games averaging 8.0 points and 2.5 rebounds in a career-low 19.1 minutes per game. Out of Syracuse, Johnson was a highly-touted player known for his athleticism, mid-range game and defensive presence.
The Lakers published a press release Monday about the signing of Johnson:
“Wesley is a young, athletic player who runs the floor well and is an excellent defender,” general manager Mitch Kupchak said in the press release. “He’s a developing player who we think could become a good NBA player for years to come. He’s also a great kid and we’re happy to add him to our team.”
Johnson is a versatile player who can play both the shooting guard and the small forward position. He has great length with his 7’1 wingspan and quickness that gives him the ability to guard both shooting guards and small forwards.
The addition of Johnson to the Lakers’ roster adds much needed depth to the small forward position after the team used their amnesty clause last week to release small forward Metta World Peace.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Lakers keeping a keen eye on Kevin Love’s situation with Cavaliers - May 3, 2015
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 17: Yasiel Puig to DL, Sharks part ways with Todd McLellan - April 27, 2015
- Should the Lakers pursue Rajon Rondo? - April 26, 2015