- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
Lakers sign F Wesley Johnson
- Updated: July 16, 2013
The 26-year-old wingman has played three seasons in the NBA with the Suns and spent his first two years with the Minnesota Timberwolves, who drafted him with the fourth overall pick in the 2010 NBA draft.
In the 2012-13 season, Johnson played in 50 games averaging 8.0 points and 2.5 rebounds in a career-low 19.1 minutes per game. Out of Syracuse, Johnson was a highly-touted player known for his athleticism, mid-range game and defensive presence.
The Lakers published a press release Monday about the signing of Johnson:
“Wesley is a young, athletic player who runs the floor well and is an excellent defender,” general manager Mitch Kupchak said in the press release. “He’s a developing player who we think could become a good NBA player for years to come. He’s also a great kid and we’re happy to add him to our team.”
Johnson is a versatile player who can play both the shooting guard and the small forward position. He has great length with his 7’1 wingspan and quickness that gives him the ability to guard both shooting guards and small forwards.
The addition of Johnson to the Lakers’ roster adds much needed depth to the small forward position after the team used their amnesty clause last week to release small forward Metta World Peace.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Byron Scott the right choice as Lakers next head coach - July 27, 2014
- Carlos Boozer says Kobe Bryant told him to ‘come ready’ - July 26, 2014
- Jeremy Lin aiming to create a new legacy with Lakers - July 24, 2014