- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
- Russell Westbrook injury: Thunder guard exits game vs. Clippers, won’t return
- Chargers news: Bolts acknowledge importance of Miami game
- Julius Randle injury: Lakers rookie suffers broken leg in 1st NBA game
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
Kings among several teams eyeing Greg Oden
- Updated: July 15, 2013
The Sacramento Kings are among several teams vying for ex-Portland Trail Blazers No. 1 overall pick Greg Oden this offseason, according to ESPN.com.
Meetings with Oden are scheduled to begin this week in Las Vegas, the home of the NBA’s Summer League. The Dallas Mavericks, New Orleans Pelicans, San Antonio Spurs and Miami Heat are all thought to be teams looking at bringing him in to round out their respective rosters.
Oden’s last game was on December 5, 2009 before knee issues that plagued him throughout his short career forced him to sit out the next several seasons. He is now healthy and ready to resume his playing career although many questions about his ability to remain in the air. In two seasons, Oden played 82 games and averaged 9.4 points and 7.4 rebounds.
The Kings are $1 million under the salary cap in 2013 and would have a $2.65 million exception remaining that they could conceivably offer him. Sacramento could amnesty John Salmons and free up an additional $7.58 million to have more options. With DeMarcus Cousins firmly entrenched in the starting center role, Oden would compete immediately for the primary backup position along with Chuck Hayes.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win - October 30, 2014
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014