- Chargers will go as far as Philip Rivers, veterans will take them
- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
Lakers sign Nick Young to 1-year deal
- Updated: July 12, 2013
Young in his five years in the NBA has played for the Los Angeles Clippers, Philadelphia 76ers and spent the first three years of his career with the Washington Wizards, who selected him with the 16th overall pick in the 2007 NBA draft.
In the 2012-13 season, Young in 59 games averaged 10.6 points, 2.2 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 23.9 minutes per game.
Young didn’t waste time responding to the news of the signing via Twitter:
Lakers Nation what up
— Nick Young (@NickSwagyPYoung) July 11, 2013
The Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak also announced the signing in a press release Thursday.
“At 6’7,” Nick’s size, ability to create his own shot and athleticism make him a versatile player who will give our lineup multiple looks on the floor,” said Kupchak. “He’s an exciting player, and we’re excited to have him on our roster.”
The addition of Young provides the Lakers with a backup shooting guard and potential fill-in starter if Kobe Bryant where to miss any time this upcoming season. The Lakers this offseason have signed former Dallas Mavericks center Chris Kaman and former Brooklyn Nets guard Jordan Farmar, and re-signed center Robert Sacre.
Young is a Southern California native from the LA Valley who played three years collegiately at USC before making his way to the NBA. He potentially could have earned more on the open market but took a relative home town discount to play for the Lakers.
Photo Credit: Tumblr
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Byron Scott announces Lakers’ coaching staff - September 17, 2014
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 36: USC falls to BC, USA wins World Cup Gold - September 15, 2014
- Can Steve Nash be Lakers starting point guard? - September 14, 2014