- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
Lakers sign Nick Young to 1-year deal
- Updated: July 12, 2013
Young in his five years in the NBA has played for the Los Angeles Clippers, Philadelphia 76ers and spent the first three years of his career with the Washington Wizards, who selected him with the 16th overall pick in the 2007 NBA draft.
In the 2012-13 season, Young in 59 games averaged 10.6 points, 2.2 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 23.9 minutes per game.
Young didn’t waste time responding to the news of the signing via Twitter:
Lakers Nation what up
— Nick Young (@NickSwagyPYoung) July 11, 2013
The Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak also announced the signing in a press release Thursday.
“At 6’7,” Nick’s size, ability to create his own shot and athleticism make him a versatile player who will give our lineup multiple looks on the floor,” said Kupchak. “He’s an exciting player, and we’re excited to have him on our roster.”
The addition of Young provides the Lakers with a backup shooting guard and potential fill-in starter if Kobe Bryant where to miss any time this upcoming season. The Lakers this offseason have signed former Dallas Mavericks center Chris Kaman and former Brooklyn Nets guard Jordan Farmar, and re-signed center Robert Sacre.
Young is a Southern California native from the LA Valley who played three years collegiately at USC before making his way to the NBA. He potentially could have earned more on the open market but took a relative home town discount to play for the Lakers.
Photo Credit: Tumblr
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Kobe Bryant begins rigorous training regimen - April 22, 2014
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 16: Warriors squeeze by Clippers, Clayton Kershaw nears return - April 21, 2014
- 5 players the Lakers should eye in free agency - April 20, 2014