- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
- Russell Westbrook injury: Thunder guard exits game vs. Clippers, won’t return
- Chargers news: Bolts acknowledge importance of Miami game
- Julius Randle injury: Lakers rookie suffers broken leg in 1st NBA game
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
49ers still interested in Austin Collie
- Updated: July 12, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers still have interest in former Indianapolis Colts’ wide receiver Austin Collie, but they do not have any plans to offer him a possible contract until after training camp begins. Collie, who is recovering from a torn patella tendon, worked out for the 49ers on June 13th. He has also suffered from concussion issues but has passed all neurological tests he was given.
The main reason for the delay on Collie is that the team wants to see if one of their young wide receivers step up and prove they deserve a majority of the snaps opposite starter Anquan Boldin. Currently, A.J. Jenkins, Ricardo Lockette, rookie Quinton Patton, and Marlon Moore are all competing for that spot. Veteran Kyle Williams will also be in play as he recovers from an ACL tear but it’s unknown when Mario Manningham will be ready coming off a knee injury of his own.
Wide receiver is one of the few question marks the 49ers have on their roster because of the unknown behind Boldin. Should Collie sign, he would add a viable veteran option to an inexperienced group.
Photo Credit: Dillip Dishwanat/Getty Images
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- 49ers Week 9 primer: Second half run begins with Rams - October 31, 2014
- Ahmad Brooks’ slow start should be a concern for the 49ers - October 29, 2014
- The emergence of Stevie Johnson gives the 49ers options heading into the future - October 24, 2014