- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
49ers still interested in Austin Collie
- Updated: July 12, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers still have interest in former Indianapolis Colts’ wide receiver Austin Collie, but they do not have any plans to offer him a possible contract until after training camp begins. Collie, who is recovering from a torn patella tendon, worked out for the 49ers on June 13th. He has also suffered from concussion issues but has passed all neurological tests he was given.
The main reason for the delay on Collie is that the team wants to see if one of their young wide receivers step up and prove they deserve a majority of the snaps opposite starter Anquan Boldin. Currently, A.J. Jenkins, Ricardo Lockette, rookie Quinton Patton, and Marlon Moore are all competing for that spot. Veteran Kyle Williams will also be in play as he recovers from an ACL tear but it’s unknown when Mario Manningham will be ready coming off a knee injury of his own.
Wide receiver is one of the few question marks the 49ers have on their roster because of the unknown behind Boldin. Should Collie sign, he would add a viable veteran option to an inexperienced group.
Photo Credit: Dillip Dishwanat/Getty Images
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- 49ers offseason: Is Colin Kaepernick worth $18 million per season? - March 5, 2014
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh and Anquan Boldin speak up on recent rumors - March 4, 2014
- 49ers, Anquan Boldin agree on two-year contract extension - March 3, 2014