- Oakland Athletics ace Scott Kazmir headed to Houston
- Antonio Gates suspension: A look at Chargers tight ends who must step up
- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
49ers still interested in Austin Collie
- Updated: July 12, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers still have interest in former Indianapolis Colts’ wide receiver Austin Collie, but they do not have any plans to offer him a possible contract until after training camp begins. Collie, who is recovering from a torn patella tendon, worked out for the 49ers on June 13th. He has also suffered from concussion issues but has passed all neurological tests he was given.
The main reason for the delay on Collie is that the team wants to see if one of their young wide receivers step up and prove they deserve a majority of the snaps opposite starter Anquan Boldin. Currently, A.J. Jenkins, Ricardo Lockette, rookie Quinton Patton, and Marlon Moore are all competing for that spot. Veteran Kyle Williams will also be in play as he recovers from an ACL tear but it’s unknown when Mario Manningham will be ready coming off a knee injury of his own.
Wide receiver is one of the few question marks the 49ers have on their roster because of the unknown behind Boldin. Should Collie sign, he would add a viable veteran option to an inexperienced group.
Photo Credit: Dillip Dishwanat/Getty Images
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- Randy Johnson Is Thankful For The People Who Helped Him Get To The Hall Of Fame - July 25, 2015
- Can Shareece Wright be the next Carlos Rogers? - July 17, 2015
- 49ers have major question marks at tight end - July 10, 2015