- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
49ers still interested in Austin Collie
- Updated: July 12, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers still have interest in former Indianapolis Colts’ wide receiver Austin Collie, but they do not have any plans to offer him a possible contract until after training camp begins. Collie, who is recovering from a torn patella tendon, worked out for the 49ers on June 13th. He has also suffered from concussion issues but has passed all neurological tests he was given.
The main reason for the delay on Collie is that the team wants to see if one of their young wide receivers step up and prove they deserve a majority of the snaps opposite starter Anquan Boldin. Currently, A.J. Jenkins, Ricardo Lockette, rookie Quinton Patton, and Marlon Moore are all competing for that spot. Veteran Kyle Williams will also be in play as he recovers from an ACL tear but it’s unknown when Mario Manningham will be ready coming off a knee injury of his own.
Wide receiver is one of the few question marks the 49ers have on their roster because of the unknown behind Boldin. Should Collie sign, he would add a viable veteran option to an inexperienced group.
Photo Credit: Dillip Dishwanat/Getty Images
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- 49ers 2015 schedule: Early Observations - April 24, 2015
- Can Carlos Hyde take the next step? - April 10, 2015
- 49ers have to start thinking long term at wide receiver and tight end - April 3, 2015