- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
- Steve Kerr impresses at NBA Summer League, despite record
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1
- The Sacramento Kings’ veteran crisis
- NBA Summer League tournament beginning to take shape
- 5 NBA Summer League players who could earn rotation spots
- Dany Heatley: Anaheim Ducks give him another chance
49ers still interested in Austin Collie
- Updated: July 12, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers still have interest in former Indianapolis Colts’ wide receiver Austin Collie, but they do not have any plans to offer him a possible contract until after training camp begins. Collie, who is recovering from a torn patella tendon, worked out for the 49ers on June 13th. He has also suffered from concussion issues but has passed all neurological tests he was given.
The main reason for the delay on Collie is that the team wants to see if one of their young wide receivers step up and prove they deserve a majority of the snaps opposite starter Anquan Boldin. Currently, A.J. Jenkins, Ricardo Lockette, rookie Quinton Patton, and Marlon Moore are all competing for that spot. Veteran Kyle Williams will also be in play as he recovers from an ACL tear but it’s unknown when Mario Manningham will be ready coming off a knee injury of his own.
Wide receiver is one of the few question marks the 49ers have on their roster because of the unknown behind Boldin. Should Collie sign, he would add a viable veteran option to an inexperienced group.
Photo Credit: Dillip Dishwanat/Getty Images
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’ - July 18, 2014
- Blaine Gabbert hopes to revive his career with the 49ers - July 18, 2014
- 49ers training camp: 5 young players who must have a strong showing - July 16, 2014