- Oakland Athletics ace Scott Kazmir headed to Houston
- Antonio Gates suspension: A look at Chargers tight ends who must step up
- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
Blazers sign Earl Watson on one-year deal
- Updated: July 8, 2013
Watson in his 12-year NBA career has played for the Seattle Supersonics (now Oklahoma City Thunder), Memphis Grizzles, Denver Nuggets, Indiana Pacers and spent the last three seasons with the Utah Jazz. He is expected to replace Ronnie Price as the Blazers’ backup point guard to Damian Lillard.
“I’m excited to mentor and help guide the young point guards into becoming professionals on and off the court,” Watson said in a text message. “I’m also blessed to be part of a great organization with amazing fans.”
Watson last season played in 48 games averaging 2.0 points and 4.0 assists in 17.3 minutes per game. The contract will not officially be completed until July 10.
Portland has had a busy offseason having acquiring center Robin Lopez in a three-team trade with the New Orleans Pelicans and the Sacramento Kings and selecting senior Lehigh guard C.J. McCollum with the 10th overall pick in the 2013 NBA draft.
The Trail Blazers currently have 15 players under contract for the 2013-14 season with Terrell Harris and Allen Crabbe signed under non-guaranteed deals.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Byron Scott says Kobe Bryant could play in the post - July 29, 2015
- Mike Trout injury: MRI reveals no structural damage to wrist - July 29, 2015
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino, David Murphy, and David DeJesus - July 29, 2015