- Oakland Athletics ace Scott Kazmir headed to Houston
- Antonio Gates suspension: A look at Chargers tight ends who must step up
- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
UCLA alum Darren Collison signs with Clippers on 2-year deal
- Updated: July 7, 2013
The second year of the contract holds a player option. The deal will take up the remainder of the Clippers mid-level exception after the team re-signed forward Matt Barnes to a multi-year deal on Friday.
In his four-year NBA career, Collison has played for the New Orleans Hornets, Indiana Pacers and Dallas Mavericks. He was selected with the twenty-first pick in the first round of the 2009 NBA draft by the Hornets.
He is expected to assume the backup point guard duties for the recently-traded Eric Bledsoe. In the 2012-13 season, Collison played in all but one game averaging 12 points and 5.1 assists per game.
The signing of 25-year-old point guard to the Clippers is the latest of several offseason moves by the franchise. Since the free agency period has begun, the team has re-signed Chris Paul and Matt Barnes to multi-year contracts, traded for head coach Doc Rivers and shipped out highly sought backup point guard Bledsoe in a three deal that landed 3-point shooters Jared Dudley and J.J. Redick in Los Angeles.
Collison’s contract cannot be officially completed until July 10 when the NBA lifts its moratorium on free agent signings and trades.
Photo Credit: scott mecum/Flickr
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Byron Scott says Kobe Bryant could play in the post - July 29, 2015
- Mike Trout injury: MRI reveals no structural damage to wrist - July 29, 2015
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino, David Murphy, and David DeJesus - July 29, 2015