- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
UCLA alum Darren Collison signs with Clippers on 2-year deal
- Updated: July 7, 2013
The second year of the contract holds a player option. The deal will take up the remainder of the Clippers mid-level exception after the team re-signed forward Matt Barnes to a multi-year deal on Friday.
In his four-year NBA career, Collison has played for the New Orleans Hornets, Indiana Pacers and Dallas Mavericks. He was selected with the twenty-first pick in the first round of the 2009 NBA draft by the Hornets.
He is expected to assume the backup point guard duties for the recently-traded Eric Bledsoe. In the 2012-13 season, Collison played in all but one game averaging 12 points and 5.1 assists per game.
The signing of 25-year-old point guard to the Clippers is the latest of several offseason moves by the franchise. Since the free agency period has begun, the team has re-signed Chris Paul and Matt Barnes to multi-year contracts, traded for head coach Doc Rivers and shipped out highly sought backup point guard Bledsoe in a three deal that landed 3-point shooters Jared Dudley and J.J. Redick in Los Angeles.
Collison’s contract cannot be officially completed until July 10 when the NBA lifts its moratorium on free agent signings and trades.
Photo Credit: scott mecum/Flickr