- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
UCLA alum Darren Collison signs with Clippers on 2-year deal
- Updated: July 7, 2013
The second year of the contract holds a player option. The deal will take up the remainder of the Clippers mid-level exception after the team re-signed forward Matt Barnes to a multi-year deal on Friday.
In his four-year NBA career, Collison has played for the New Orleans Hornets, Indiana Pacers and Dallas Mavericks. He was selected with the twenty-first pick in the first round of the 2009 NBA draft by the Hornets.
He is expected to assume the backup point guard duties for the recently-traded Eric Bledsoe. In the 2012-13 season, Collison played in all but one game averaging 12 points and 5.1 assists per game.
The signing of 25-year-old point guard to the Clippers is the latest of several offseason moves by the franchise. Since the free agency period has begun, the team has re-signed Chris Paul and Matt Barnes to multi-year contracts, traded for head coach Doc Rivers and shipped out highly sought backup point guard Bledsoe in a three deal that landed 3-point shooters Jared Dudley and J.J. Redick in Los Angeles.
Collison’s contract cannot be officially completed until July 10 when the NBA lifts its moratorium on free agent signings and trades.
Photo Credit: scott mecum/Flickr
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 4: Kobe Bryant expected to miss rest of season, Team Irvin wins Pro Bowl - January 26, 2015
- 5 things we learned Lakers’ 99-87 loss to Rockets - January 26, 2015
- Kobe Bryant’s health will dictate how he ends his career - January 25, 2015