- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
UCLA alum Darren Collison signs with Clippers on 2-year deal
- Updated: July 7, 2013
The second year of the contract holds a player option. The deal will take up the remainder of the Clippers mid-level exception after the team re-signed forward Matt Barnes to a multi-year deal on Friday.
In his four-year NBA career, Collison has played for the New Orleans Hornets, Indiana Pacers and Dallas Mavericks. He was selected with the twenty-first pick in the first round of the 2009 NBA draft by the Hornets.
He is expected to assume the backup point guard duties for the recently-traded Eric Bledsoe. In the 2012-13 season, Collison played in all but one game averaging 12 points and 5.1 assists per game.
The signing of 25-year-old point guard to the Clippers is the latest of several offseason moves by the franchise. Since the free agency period has begun, the team has re-signed Chris Paul and Matt Barnes to multi-year contracts, traded for head coach Doc Rivers and shipped out highly sought backup point guard Bledsoe in a three deal that landed 3-point shooters Jared Dudley and J.J. Redick in Los Angeles.
Collison’s contract cannot be officially completed until July 10 when the NBA lifts its moratorium on free agent signings and trades.
Photo Credit: scott mecum/Flickr
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- 5 things we learned from Lakers’ 99-93 loss to Grizzlies - November 27, 2014
- Lakers nearing a one-year deal with forward Earl Clark - November 26, 2014
- Xavier Henry injury: Lakers forward out for season with torn Achilles - November 26, 2014