- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
Ryan Madson injury: Angels P throwing off mound
- Updated: July 4, 2013
After about a month of being restricted to throwing off flat ground, Angels pitcher Ryan Madson furthered his throwing program last week by participating in three bullpen sessions in Tempe, Ariz, acccording to Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com.
The 32-year-old right-hander is throwing off the mound once every three days, with his next session on Thursday, in hopes of partaking in rehab games again in a few weeks.
“It could be a lot worse–I could be having pain at 60 or 70 percent.” Madson said. “I think I’m just going to be a little smarter, when I feel 100 percent healthy, to not go out there and throw 100 percent for a while….but I’m going to try under 100 percent. Even when I get there, even when I say, ‘Oh, I can rip on it,’ I’m going to conserve it more this time.”
Madson has had several setbacks in his attempt to return from Tommy John surgery in April 2012. He last played in a rehab game for Class A Inland Empire on May 13.
As for the majors, his last game pitched was on October 7, 2011 against the St. Louis Cardinals in the playoffs as a member of the Philadelphia Phillies. A healthy Madson return would help bolster an Angels bullpen that features closer Ernesto Frieri and a pair of left-handers in Sean Burnett and Scott Downs.
Photo Credit: PhillyMad63/Flickr