- Oakland Athletics ace Scott Kazmir headed to Houston
- Antonio Gates suspension: A look at Chargers tight ends who must step up
- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
Lakers take down banner outside of Staples Center
- Updated: July 4, 2013
As the Los Angeles Lakers await for Dwight Howard‘s decision on which team he intends to sign with, the organization on early Wednesday morning removed a banner supporting the eight-year veteran outside of Staples Center according to Arash Markazi of ESPNLA.com.
The banner depicted a photo of Howard alongside the word “STAY” and the Twitter hashtag #STAYD12, and had been on display for a week.
Staples Center officials said the plan was to take down the banner proceeding the Los Angeles Sparks-Minnesota Lynx WNBA game on Tuesday night. The Lakers have also put up six billboards along with several mobile billboards across Los Angeles. The schedules to take down the billboards in each location are different because some were put on display sooner than others, which means that the time each billboard will be removed will vary.
A team source also said that the placement of the banner and billboards across Los Angeles sole purpose was to be influential before and just after the free-agency period had begun on Monday, and to take advantage of the publicity during last week’s BET Awards, which took place across the street at the Nokia Theatre.
Howard has held meetings with the Houston Rockets, Golden State Warriors and Atlanta Hawks on Sunday and Monday and met with the Lakers and Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday.
The three-time Defensive Player of the Year is expected to make his decision by Friday.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Byron Scott says Kobe Bryant could play in the post - July 29, 2015
- Mike Trout injury: MRI reveals no structural damage to wrist - July 29, 2015
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino, David Murphy, and David DeJesus - July 29, 2015