- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
- Metta World Peace expressed interest in St. John’s head coaching job
- Darren Sharper settles multiple rape charges with plea deal
- NFL free agency 2015: Are there any targets left for the Seattle Seahawks?
- Michael Crabtree visits Dolphins amid shrinking market
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 100-98 loss to Rockets
Lakers take down banner outside of Staples Center
- Updated: July 4, 2013
As the Los Angeles Lakers await for Dwight Howard‘s decision on which team he intends to sign with, the organization on early Wednesday morning removed a banner supporting the eight-year veteran outside of Staples Center according to Arash Markazi of ESPNLA.com.
The banner depicted a photo of Howard alongside the word “STAY” and the Twitter hashtag #STAYD12, and had been on display for a week.
Staples Center officials said the plan was to take down the banner proceeding the Los Angeles Sparks-Minnesota Lynx WNBA game on Tuesday night. The Lakers have also put up six billboards along with several mobile billboards across Los Angeles. The schedules to take down the billboards in each location are different because some were put on display sooner than others, which means that the time each billboard will be removed will vary.
A team source also said that the placement of the banner and billboards across Los Angeles sole purpose was to be influential before and just after the free-agency period had begun on Monday, and to take advantage of the publicity during last week’s BET Awards, which took place across the street at the Nokia Theatre.
Howard has held meetings with the Houston Rockets, Golden State Warriors and Atlanta Hawks on Sunday and Monday and met with the Lakers and Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday.
The three-time Defensive Player of the Year is expected to make his decision by Friday.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Should the Lakers pursue Rajon Rondo? - April 26, 2015
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 16: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has surgery, Raiders sign Michael Crabtree - April 20, 2015
- Lakers set to embarking on crucial offseason - April 19, 2015