- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
- Sharks close trip with uninspired loss 4-1 loss to Sabres
- Chargers notes: Seyi Ajirotutu fined, Ryan Mathews and Manti Te’O to return after bye
- Clippers’ concerns revolve around defense and rebounding
- Do the 49ers have an identity crisis?
- Marcus Lattimore injury: 49ers running back has bigger issue
- Klay Thompson signs 4-year, $70 million extension with Warriors
- VIDEO: Steve Ballmer scares his son with enthusiasm after Clippers’ win
Lakers take down banner outside of Staples Center
- Updated: July 4, 2013
As the Los Angeles Lakers await for Dwight Howard‘s decision on which team he intends to sign with, the organization on early Wednesday morning removed a banner supporting the eight-year veteran outside of Staples Center according to Arash Markazi of ESPNLA.com.
The banner depicted a photo of Howard alongside the word “STAY” and the Twitter hashtag #STAYD12, and had been on display for a week.
Staples Center officials said the plan was to take down the banner proceeding the Los Angeles Sparks-Minnesota Lynx WNBA game on Tuesday night. The Lakers have also put up six billboards along with several mobile billboards across Los Angeles. The schedules to take down the billboards in each location are different because some were put on display sooner than others, which means that the time each billboard will be removed will vary.
A team source also said that the placement of the banner and billboards across Los Angeles sole purpose was to be influential before and just after the free-agency period had begun on Monday, and to take advantage of the publicity during last week’s BET Awards, which took place across the street at the Nokia Theatre.
Howard has held meetings with the Houston Rockets, Golden State Warriors and Atlanta Hawks on Sunday and Monday and met with the Lakers and Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday.
The three-time Defensive Player of the Year is expected to make his decision by Friday.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Klay Thompson would’ve left school early to join Lakers - November 19, 2014
- Lakers Ryan Kelly to miss at least 6 weeks with torn hamstring - November 19, 2014
- Lakers Kobe Bryant surpasses 32,000 career points - November 19, 2014