- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Missed tackles, timely penalties cost Bolts
- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
Lakers take down banner outside of Staples Center
- Updated: July 4, 2013
As the Los Angeles Lakers await for Dwight Howard‘s decision on which team he intends to sign with, the organization on early Wednesday morning removed a banner supporting the eight-year veteran outside of Staples Center according to Arash Markazi of ESPNLA.com.
The banner depicted a photo of Howard alongside the word “STAY” and the Twitter hashtag #STAYD12, and had been on display for a week.
Staples Center officials said the plan was to take down the banner proceeding the Los Angeles Sparks-Minnesota Lynx WNBA game on Tuesday night. The Lakers have also put up six billboards along with several mobile billboards across Los Angeles. The schedules to take down the billboards in each location are different because some were put on display sooner than others, which means that the time each billboard will be removed will vary.
A team source also said that the placement of the banner and billboards across Los Angeles sole purpose was to be influential before and just after the free-agency period had begun on Monday, and to take advantage of the publicity during last week’s BET Awards, which took place across the street at the Nokia Theatre.
Howard has held meetings with the Houston Rockets, Golden State Warriors and Atlanta Hawks on Sunday and Monday and met with the Lakers and Dallas Mavericks on Tuesday.
The three-time Defensive Player of the Year is expected to make his decision by Friday.
Bob Garcia IV
Latest posts by Bob Garcia IV (see all)
- Lakers G Steve Nash to miss 2014-15 season - October 23, 2014
- 5 things we learned from Lakers’ 114-108 loss to Suns - October 22, 2014
- Lakers cut Jeremy Tyler, Keith Appling - October 21, 2014