- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks
- UFC 181: 3 thoughts surrounding Robbie Lawler’s welterweight title win
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70
- Jim Harbaugh defends Colin Kaepernick’s press conference
- Tiger Woods returns, struggles to 77 at Hero World Challenge
- Pac-12 Championship Game tickets least expensive in 4 years
- MLB offseason 2014: Will Nelson Cruz be able to repeat his success?
- Kings’ Slava Voynov will face felony assault charge
- Tim Howard earns U.S. Male Soccer Athlete of the Year honor
- Is Robert Griffin III an NFL bust?
Kobe Bryant to Dwight Howard: ‘Learn how it’s done’
- Updated: July 4, 2013
After days of speculation about the details of a highly-publicized meeting between the Los Angeles Lakers and Dwight Howard, details that Kobe Bryant gave the highly-coveted free agent a reality check on Tuesday have come to light.
According to Yahoo! Sports NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski, sources present at the meeting say that Bryant didn’t come in to grovel, but to challenge his ex-teammate.
“You need to learn how it’s done first, and I can teach you here,” Bryant said according to the sources. “You have to learn how it’s done. I know how to do it and I’ve learned from the best — players who have one multiple times over and over.”
The report on what Bryant said is hardly a surprise. He’s long been an alpha-male personality who isn’t afraid to speak his mind. He’s a proven winner, and when he finishes his career he’ll go down as one of the greatest players ever to play the game. When he speaks, he has Howard and everyone’s ear. Whether or not anything actually resonates with the three-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year is what the entire process hinges on.
Did anyone think Bryant would bow to Howard and beg him to stay? It’s not in Bryant’s DNA to ask players to play with him, let alone plead with them. Ironically the Lakers took down their banners spread throughout Los Angeles on Thursday that urged Howard to stay.
As more details come out, it appears Bryant didn’t echo that sentiment.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Anthony Davis injury: 49ers tackle out vs. Seahawks - December 12, 2014
- VIDEO: Russell Wilson makes Fletcher Cox look silly on quarterback scramble - December 7, 2014
- Hero World Challenge 2014: Tiger Woods’ short game fails with 2nd round 70 - December 5, 2014