- Patrick Peterson ‘having fun’ with Richard Sherman feud
- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
Lakers news: Chris Duhon waived, owed $1.5M
- Updated: June 29, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers officially waived veteran point guard Chris Duhon on Saturday and owe him just $1.5 million of his $3.75 million salary, according to Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register.
The former Duke Blue Devil saw limited action as a role player in his lone season with the Lakers after coming to LA with Dwight Howard last offseason. He played in 46 games, starting nine of them and averaged 2.9 points, 2.9 assists and 1.5 rebounds per contest. He struggled to find rhythm beyond the arc as he shot just 36 percent from the 3-point line.
With the addition of Steve Nash last offseason in addition to Duhon and Howard, the Lakers had a virtual logjam at the point guard position with Steve Blake slated as the primary backup. Most of Duhon’s opportunities came following injuries to Nash and Blake, with the latest instance coming late in the season when Kobe Bryant suffered a torn Achilles’.
The minimal savings in cap space does little to alleviate the Lakers’ luxury tax woes. According to CBA expert Larry Coon, the salary cap is expected to be somewhere in the area of $58.5 million, and the Lakers are well over that number, whether or not Howard decides to re-sign.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Patrick Peterson ‘having fun’ with Richard Sherman feud - July 31, 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014