- Chargers vs. Seahawks: 3 things we learned in the Bolts’ 30-21 win
- NFL season 2014: Top 5 surprises of Week 2
- NFL mishandles Ray Rice situation
- Chargers vs. Cardinals, NFL Week 1 preview: Bolts have early road test on MNF stage
- Eric Weddle on 2014 Chargers: ‘We can beat anybody’
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
Lakers news: Chris Duhon waived, owed $1.5M
- Updated: June 29, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers officially waived veteran point guard Chris Duhon on Saturday and owe him just $1.5 million of his $3.75 million salary, according to Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register.
The former Duke Blue Devil saw limited action as a role player in his lone season with the Lakers after coming to LA with Dwight Howard last offseason. He played in 46 games, starting nine of them and averaged 2.9 points, 2.9 assists and 1.5 rebounds per contest. He struggled to find rhythm beyond the arc as he shot just 36 percent from the 3-point line.
With the addition of Steve Nash last offseason in addition to Duhon and Howard, the Lakers had a virtual logjam at the point guard position with Steve Blake slated as the primary backup. Most of Duhon’s opportunities came following injuries to Nash and Blake, with the latest instance coming late in the season when Kobe Bryant suffered a torn Achilles’.
The minimal savings in cap space does little to alleviate the Lakers’ luxury tax woes. According to CBA expert Larry Coon, the salary cap is expected to be somewhere in the area of $58.5 million, and the Lakers are well over that number, whether or not Howard decides to re-sign.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014