- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
Lakers news: Chris Duhon waived, owed $1.5M
- Updated: June 29, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers officially waived veteran point guard Chris Duhon on Saturday and owe him just $1.5 million of his $3.75 million salary, according to Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register.
The former Duke Blue Devil saw limited action as a role player in his lone season with the Lakers after coming to LA with Dwight Howard last offseason. He played in 46 games, starting nine of them and averaged 2.9 points, 2.9 assists and 1.5 rebounds per contest. He struggled to find rhythm beyond the arc as he shot just 36 percent from the 3-point line.
With the addition of Steve Nash last offseason in addition to Duhon and Howard, the Lakers had a virtual logjam at the point guard position with Steve Blake slated as the primary backup. Most of Duhon’s opportunities came following injuries to Nash and Blake, with the latest instance coming late in the season when Kobe Bryant suffered a torn Achilles’.
The minimal savings in cap space does little to alleviate the Lakers’ luxury tax woes. According to CBA expert Larry Coon, the salary cap is expected to be somewhere in the area of $58.5 million, and the Lakers are well over that number, whether or not Howard decides to re-sign.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice - April 22, 2014
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report - April 22, 2014
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014