- Chargers vs. Chiefs: Bolts beat themselves, lose 23-20
- Percy Harvin trade showcases the bureaucracy of sports
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report
- Chargers news: Branden Oliver is just what the Bolts needed
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador
- Chargers secondary flying under the radar
- Sharks finally finish Kings in season opener, 4-0
- Lakers training camp 2014: Has Wesley Johnson found his niche?
- NFL Quotes Roundup, Week 5: Reggie Wayne acknowledges age, RGIII makes progress
- Jets vs. Chargers: Bolts’ run defense has tough test Sunday
Lakers news: Chris Duhon waived, owed $1.5M
- Updated: June 29, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers officially waived veteran point guard Chris Duhon on Saturday and owe him just $1.5 million of his $3.75 million salary, according to Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register.
The former Duke Blue Devil saw limited action as a role player in his lone season with the Lakers after coming to LA with Dwight Howard last offseason. He played in 46 games, starting nine of them and averaged 2.9 points, 2.9 assists and 1.5 rebounds per contest. He struggled to find rhythm beyond the arc as he shot just 36 percent from the 3-point line.
With the addition of Steve Nash last offseason in addition to Duhon and Howard, the Lakers had a virtual logjam at the point guard position with Steve Blake slated as the primary backup. Most of Duhon’s opportunities came following injuries to Nash and Blake, with the latest instance coming late in the season when Kobe Bryant suffered a torn Achilles’.
The minimal savings in cap space does little to alleviate the Lakers’ luxury tax woes. According to CBA expert Larry Coon, the salary cap is expected to be somewhere in the area of $58.5 million, and the Lakers are well over that number, whether or not Howard decides to re-sign.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Percy Harvin trade: Seahawks shopped wide receiver for ‘weeks,’ per report - October 17, 2014
- Landon Donovan’s final U.S. match ends in 1-1 draw vs. Ecuador - October 11, 2014
- Padres fall to Rockies, 3-2 despite testing Jorge De La Rosa - September 23, 2014