- USC football news: Trojans set to face Fresno State in Las Vegas Bowl
- NFC West Week 14 roundup: Frank Gore rescues 49ers, Cardinals beat up Rams
- Kobe Bryant’s return: Lakers slow start leads to 106-94 loss vs. Raptors
- Lakers: Patience is key with Kobe Bryant
- Rudy Gay traded to Sacramento Kings in exchange for Patrick Patterson, 3 others
- Lakers: Immediate expectations for Kobe Bryant
- Kobe Bryant return: Lakers star to debut Sunday vs. Raptors
- Robinson Cano, Mariners agree to 10-year, $240M deal after Jay-Z gets in the way
- Trail Blazers: ‘Rip City’ is a legitimate Western Conference threat
- Seahawks vs. 49ers preview: Seattle can clinch NFC West with season sweep of division rival
Lakers news: Chris Duhon waived, owed $1.5M
- Updated: June 29, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers officially waived veteran point guard Chris Duhon on Saturday and owe him just $1.5 million of his $3.75 million salary, according to Kevin Ding of the Orange County Register.
The former Duke Blue Devil saw limited action as a role player in his lone season with the Lakers after coming to LA with Dwight Howard last offseason. He played in 46 games, starting nine of them and averaged 2.9 points, 2.9 assists and 1.5 rebounds per contest. He struggled to find rhythm beyond the arc as he shot just 36 percent from the 3-point line.
With the addition of Steve Nash last offseason in addition to Duhon and Howard, the Lakers had a virtual logjam at the point guard position with Steve Blake slated as the primary backup. Most of Duhon’s opportunities came following injuries to Nash and Blake, with the latest instance coming late in the season when Kobe Bryant suffered a torn Achilles’.
The minimal savings in cap space does little to alleviate the Lakers’ luxury tax woes. According to CBA expert Larry Coon, the salary cap is expected to be somewhere in the area of $58.5 million, and the Lakers are well over that number, whether or not Howard decides to re-sign.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- USC football news: Trojans set to face Fresno State in Las Vegas Bowl - December 9, 2013
- NFC West Week 14 roundup: Frank Gore rescues 49ers, Cardinals beat up Rams - December 9, 2013
- Rudy Gay traded to Sacramento Kings in exchange for Patrick Patterson, 3 others - December 8, 2013