- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
- UCLA to replace waterlogged court at Pauley Pavilion
NBA draft 2013: Ryan Kelly goes to Lakers at No. 48
- Updated: June 27, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers selected Duke big man Ryan Kelly with their lone pick in the 2013 NBA draft on Thursday.
Kelly, taken with the No. 48 overall selection, is a stretch big man who can knock down open shots and has better-than-average ability on the defensive end. He should be an ideal fit in head coach Mike D’Antoni’s system that features bigs who can stretch the floor and provide support on the defensive end.
Despite the Lakers’ draft being complete, the biggest question that remains is what to do in the case of Dwight Howard. The Lakers big man could leave the team for greener pastures and choose to sign with either the Houston Rockets or Dallas Mavericks. Early reports have the Lakers with a dwindling chance at landing the mercurial 27-year-old as they try to rebound from what was a tumultuous season in 2013-14.
Kelly has good length at the power forward position, and is could compare to Chris Bosh with less upside. A rare four-year player, Kelly should be ready to play right away and help the Lakers should they retain him as the draft continues to unfold.
In his senior year, he averaged 12.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.6 blocks per game while shooting 42.2 percent from the 3-point line and 81.2 percent from the free-throw line.
For more on the draft, visit Sports Out West’s NBA hub.
Follow Michael C. Jones on Twitter @MikeJonesTweets
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014
- UCLA to replace waterlogged court at Pauley Pavilion - August 2, 2014