- San Diego State football news: Four-star recruit DeSean Holmes abandons program
- Pressure doesn’t break Chris Taylor-Yamanoha
- Video: Watch Marshawn Lynch sell Skittles on shopping network
- Kobe Bryant, Shaquille O’Neal show love for one another on podcast
- Fred Jackson visits with Seahawks, contract imminent, per report
- Clippers fined $250K for mishandling DeAndre Jordan free agency
- Leonard Williams avoids serious knee-injury
- Tyrell Williams – former NCAA Division II wideout – is bolting up in San Diego
- Boise State denies that Sam Ukwuachu’s 2013 dismissal was because of allegations of abuse
- Russell Wilson says he didn’t suffer a concussion in NFC Championship game
NBA draft 2013: Ryan Kelly goes to Lakers at No. 48
- Updated: June 27, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers selected Duke big man Ryan Kelly with their lone pick in the 2013 NBA draft on Thursday.
Kelly, taken with the No. 48 overall selection, is a stretch big man who can knock down open shots and has better-than-average ability on the defensive end. He should be an ideal fit in head coach Mike D’Antoni’s system that features bigs who can stretch the floor and provide support on the defensive end.
Despite the Lakers’ draft being complete, the biggest question that remains is what to do in the case of Dwight Howard. The Lakers big man could leave the team for greener pastures and choose to sign with either the Houston Rockets or Dallas Mavericks. Early reports have the Lakers with a dwindling chance at landing the mercurial 27-year-old as they try to rebound from what was a tumultuous season in 2013-14.
Kelly has good length at the power forward position, and is could compare to Chris Bosh with less upside. A rare four-year player, Kelly should be ready to play right away and help the Lakers should they retain him as the draft continues to unfold.
In his senior year, he averaged 12.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.6 blocks per game while shooting 42.2 percent from the 3-point line and 81.2 percent from the free-throw line.
For more on the draft, visit Sports Out West’s NBA hub.
Follow Michael C. Jones on Twitter @MikeJonesTweets
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Dodgers call up Corey Seager in wake of Justin Turner injury - September 3, 2015
- Philip Rivers says clash with Seahawks’ Frank Clark was ‘no big deal’ - September 1, 2015
- Video: Watch Marshawn Lynch sell Skittles on shopping network - September 1, 2015