- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
NBA draft 2013: Ryan Kelly goes to Lakers at No. 48
- Updated: June 27, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers selected Duke big man Ryan Kelly with their lone pick in the 2013 NBA draft on Thursday.
Kelly, taken with the No. 48 overall selection, is a stretch big man who can knock down open shots and has better-than-average ability on the defensive end. He should be an ideal fit in head coach Mike D’Antoni’s system that features bigs who can stretch the floor and provide support on the defensive end.
Despite the Lakers’ draft being complete, the biggest question that remains is what to do in the case of Dwight Howard. The Lakers big man could leave the team for greener pastures and choose to sign with either the Houston Rockets or Dallas Mavericks. Early reports have the Lakers with a dwindling chance at landing the mercurial 27-year-old as they try to rebound from what was a tumultuous season in 2013-14.
Kelly has good length at the power forward position, and is could compare to Chris Bosh with less upside. A rare four-year player, Kelly should be ready to play right away and help the Lakers should they retain him as the draft continues to unfold.
In his senior year, he averaged 12.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.6 blocks per game while shooting 42.2 percent from the 3-point line and 81.2 percent from the free-throw line.
For more on the draft, visit Sports Out West’s NBA hub.
Follow Michael C. Jones on Twitter @MikeJonesTweets
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’ - April 27, 2015
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015