- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
NBA draft 2013: Ryan Kelly goes to Lakers at No. 48
- Updated: June 27, 2013
The Los Angeles Lakers selected Duke big man Ryan Kelly with their lone pick in the 2013 NBA draft on Thursday.
Kelly, taken with the No. 48 overall selection, is a stretch big man who can knock down open shots and has better-than-average ability on the defensive end. He should be an ideal fit in head coach Mike D’Antoni’s system that features bigs who can stretch the floor and provide support on the defensive end.
Despite the Lakers’ draft being complete, the biggest question that remains is what to do in the case of Dwight Howard. The Lakers big man could leave the team for greener pastures and choose to sign with either the Houston Rockets or Dallas Mavericks. Early reports have the Lakers with a dwindling chance at landing the mercurial 27-year-old as they try to rebound from what was a tumultuous season in 2013-14.
Kelly has good length at the power forward position, and is could compare to Chris Bosh with less upside. A rare four-year player, Kelly should be ready to play right away and help the Lakers should they retain him as the draft continues to unfold.
In his senior year, he averaged 12.9 points, 5.3 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.6 blocks per game while shooting 42.2 percent from the 3-point line and 81.2 percent from the free-throw line.
For more on the draft, visit Sports Out West’s NBA hub.
Follow Michael C. Jones on Twitter @MikeJonesTweets