- Oakland Athletics ace Scott Kazmir headed to Houston
- Antonio Gates suspension: A look at Chargers tight ends who must step up
- Angels midseason grades: Turmoil overshadows reasonable start
- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
Report: Clippers-Celtics deal for Doc Rivers imminent
- Updated: June 23, 2013
The Los Angeles Clippers and Boston Celtics are nearing an agreement that would send C’s head coach Doc Rivers to Los Angeles, according to Yahoo! Sports NBA Insider Adrian Wojnarowski.
It’s the latest development in an ongoing saga that has included each team going back-and-forth in negotiations. The NBA even got involved to a point when commissioner David Stern said that it would nix any deal seen as part of a contingency for another. The Clippers’ main focus this offseason is putting together their best sales pitch in hopes of re-signing superstar guard Chris Paul.
The popular belief is that Paul is fond of Rivers, and that bringing him to Los Angeles would help the Clippers take the next step in their aspirations to win an NBA title. With plenty of young talent, they have the resources necessary to be competitive in the postseason, and Rivers could be the final piece of the puzzle and is a game-changer on the sidelines.
When the Clips’ didn’t renew the contract of former head coach Vinny Del Negro, this is the type of coaching hire even they could only dream of. Now, it seems closer to reality than ever before that they could land a proven, championship-caliber coach.
Photo credit: Debby Wong / USA Today