- Dodgers close to re-signing Brian Wilson
- Sacramento Kings show resilience in 97-95 loss to Oklahoma City Thunder
- Lakers news: Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash return to practice
- Jordan Farmar injury: Lakers G out 4 weeks with hamstring tear
- Steve Sarkisian to USC: Looking at the former UW coach’s most ironic tweets
- Vernon Davis on groin tackle: ‘The most painful thing ever’
- NFC West Week 13 Roundup: Seahawks Clinch a playoff spot, 49ers stay in contention
- Steve Sarkisian accepts USC head coaching position
- Lakers news: Pau Gasol to get MRI on right ankle
- Bengals vs. Chargers: Ex-Cal WRs Marvin Jones, Keenan Allen keeping up with each other
Report: Clippers-Celtics deal for Doc Rivers imminent
- Updated: June 23, 2013
The Los Angeles Clippers and Boston Celtics are nearing an agreement that would send C’s head coach Doc Rivers to Los Angeles, according to Yahoo! Sports NBA Insider Adrian Wojnarowski.
It’s the latest development in an ongoing saga that has included each team going back-and-forth in negotiations. The NBA even got involved to a point when commissioner David Stern said that it would nix any deal seen as part of a contingency for another. The Clippers’ main focus this offseason is putting together their best sales pitch in hopes of re-signing superstar guard Chris Paul.
The popular belief is that Paul is fond of Rivers, and that bringing him to Los Angeles would help the Clippers take the next step in their aspirations to win an NBA title. With plenty of young talent, they have the resources necessary to be competitive in the postseason, and Rivers could be the final piece of the puzzle and is a game-changer on the sidelines.
When the Clips’ didn’t renew the contract of former head coach Vinny Del Negro, this is the type of coaching hire even they could only dream of. Now, it seems closer to reality than ever before that they could land a proven, championship-caliber coach.
Photo credit: Debby Wong / USA Today
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Steve Sarkisian to USC: Looking at the former UW coach’s most ironic tweets - December 3, 2013
- Bengals vs. Chargers: Ex-Cal WRs Marvin Jones, Keenan Allen keeping up with each other - December 2, 2013
- Bengals vs. Chargers: Ladarius Green underutilized in Bolts’ loss - December 1, 2013