- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
Dwight Howard free agency: Rockets may drop Thomas Robinson
- Updated: June 22, 2013
As the Houston Rockets continue to build their case for bringing superstar Dwight Howard in via free agency, they’ve recently considered the shedding the contract of 2012 No. 5 overall pick Thomas Robinson, according to ESPN NBA Insider Marc Stein.
If they are able get rid of Robinson’s salary, they will be compensated with a first-round pick and can save some all-important cap space. The Rockets will need to free up as many dollars as possible as they begin to prepare their best sales pitch to the Lakers big man. Robinson is a power forward who hasn’t panned out the way the Rockets or the Sacramento Kings had hoped, so he’s expendable in this case.
Howard has recently said he will explore all of his options, take his time and make his decisions based solely on basketball. That means that he will look at the team surrounding him and the direction of the organization.
That makes Houston’s case as strong as anyone’s. They have a strong core of young players in James Harden and Chandler Parsons as well as solid complementary players who can stretch the floor and provide balance. Howard will bring instant improvement on the defensive end, and area where they struggled tremendously in 2012-13.
In other words, let the offseason games begin.
Photo Credit: T.C. / Flickr
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014