- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
Dwight Howard free agency: Rockets may drop Thomas Robinson
- Updated: June 22, 2013
As the Houston Rockets continue to build their case for bringing superstar Dwight Howard in via free agency, they’ve recently considered the shedding the contract of 2012 No. 5 overall pick Thomas Robinson, according to ESPN NBA Insider Marc Stein.
If they are able get rid of Robinson’s salary, they will be compensated with a first-round pick and can save some all-important cap space. The Rockets will need to free up as many dollars as possible as they begin to prepare their best sales pitch to the Lakers big man. Robinson is a power forward who hasn’t panned out the way the Rockets or the Sacramento Kings had hoped, so he’s expendable in this case.
Howard has recently said he will explore all of his options, take his time and make his decisions based solely on basketball. That means that he will look at the team surrounding him and the direction of the organization.
That makes Houston’s case as strong as anyone’s. They have a strong core of young players in James Harden and Chandler Parsons as well as solid complementary players who can stretch the floor and provide balance. Howard will bring instant improvement on the defensive end, and area where they struggled tremendously in 2012-13.
In other words, let the offseason games begin.
Photo Credit: T.C. / Flickr
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries - September 17, 2015
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors - September 17, 2015
- Aldon Smith signs 1-year deal with Raiders, charged with three crimes on same day - September 11, 2015