- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
Dwight Howard free agency: Rockets may drop Thomas Robinson
- Updated: June 22, 2013
As the Houston Rockets continue to build their case for bringing superstar Dwight Howard in via free agency, they’ve recently considered the shedding the contract of 2012 No. 5 overall pick Thomas Robinson, according to ESPN NBA Insider Marc Stein.
If they are able get rid of Robinson’s salary, they will be compensated with a first-round pick and can save some all-important cap space. The Rockets will need to free up as many dollars as possible as they begin to prepare their best sales pitch to the Lakers big man. Robinson is a power forward who hasn’t panned out the way the Rockets or the Sacramento Kings had hoped, so he’s expendable in this case.
Howard has recently said he will explore all of his options, take his time and make his decisions based solely on basketball. That means that he will look at the team surrounding him and the direction of the organization.
That makes Houston’s case as strong as anyone’s. They have a strong core of young players in James Harden and Chandler Parsons as well as solid complementary players who can stretch the floor and provide balance. Howard will bring instant improvement on the defensive end, and area where they struggled tremendously in 2012-13.
In other words, let the offseason games begin.
Photo Credit: T.C. / Flickr
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’ - April 27, 2015
- Chris Borland retires from 49ers amid health issues - March 17, 2015
- Wyoming upsets San Diego State, 45-43, wins Mountain West Conference Tournament - March 14, 2015