- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game
- Phil Jackson rumors: Ex-Lakers coach gets offers from Knicks
- Portland Trail Blazers’ GM eyes ‘elite’ status as goal
- Watch out for the Houston Rockets
- Brandon Browner reinstated by the NFL
- Corey Brewer reflects on his annihilation of Derek Fisher
- 2014 NFL Draft: 5 Pac-12 standouts who could make an immediate impact
- NFL Draft 2014: Jadeveon Clowney should be No. 1 pick, says Marcus Lattimore
- Seahawks choose not to use franchise tag on Steven Hauschka
- Donald Butler signs contract extension with Chargers
Colin Kaepernick out-duels Russell Wilson with 87mph pitch
- Updated: June 22, 2013
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick showed why the Chicago Cubs drafted him in the 43rd round of the first-year player draft out of high school before he eventually decided to attend the University of Nevada on a football scholarship and threw an 87 mile-per-hour fastball. Russell Wilson only hit 75 on the gun when he threw his own first pitch at a recent Mariners game.
On Friday, Kaepernick’s fastball was a little low and off the plate, but to his credit, it had been awhile:
Picking up a baseball for the first time in 7 yrs tomorrow to throw out the first pitch for the… http://t.co/vQiKcekLWQ
— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7) June 21, 2013
— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7) June 22, 2013
His baseball talent is undeniable. In high school, his fastball reached the ’90s consistently, and he received more accolades playing baseball than he did football. Nevada was the only school to offer him a scholarship. He threw two no-hitters during his prep career and had multiple offers to attend college at Divison-1 programs to play America’s pastime.
But it was not his first choice. He wanted to play football all along, and the rest of the remarkable story is still unfolding. Hopefully, the Seattle Seahawks-49ers matchups can be as good this year as their quarterbacks’ first pitches were.
Photo Credit: Football Schedule
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Matt Kemp injury: Dodgers OF feeling strong after minor league game - March 9, 2014
- VIDEO: Blake Griffin feeds DeAndre Jordan vs. Hawks - March 8, 2014
- VIDEO: Ty Lawson breaks Jodie Meeks’ ankles, adds insult to Lakers’ woes - March 7, 2014