- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ
- NFL Combine 2015: Top 5 Winners and Losers
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash
- Doc Rivers still recruiting Kendrick Perkins ‘hard,’ per report
- Brett Hundley impresses at NFL Combine with 4.63 40
- San Diego mayor on Chargers-Raiders proposal: ‘That’s not how you do business’
- Chargers, Raiders move forward with Los Angeles stadium proposal
- Seahawks GM seeks Marshawn Lynch contract resolution
- Oregon, head coach Mark Helfrich agree to 5-year, $17.5M extension
Colin Kaepernick out-duels Russell Wilson with 87mph pitch
- Updated: June 22, 2013
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick showed why the Chicago Cubs drafted him in the 43rd round of the first-year player draft out of high school before he eventually decided to attend the University of Nevada on a football scholarship and threw an 87 mile-per-hour fastball. Russell Wilson only hit 75 on the gun when he threw his own first pitch at a recent Mariners game.
On Friday, Kaepernick’s fastball was a little low and off the plate, but to his credit, it had been awhile:
Picking up a baseball for the first time in 7 yrs tomorrow to throw out the first pitch for the… http://t.co/vQiKcekLWQ
— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7) June 21, 2013
— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7) June 22, 2013
His baseball talent is undeniable. In high school, his fastball reached the ’90s consistently, and he received more accolades playing baseball than he did football. Nevada was the only school to offer him a scholarship. He threw two no-hitters during his prep career and had multiple offers to attend college at Divison-1 programs to play America’s pastime.
But it was not his first choice. He wanted to play football all along, and the rest of the remarkable story is still unfolding. Hopefully, the Seattle Seahawks-49ers matchups can be as good this year as their quarterbacks’ first pitches were.
Photo Credit: Football Schedule
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Northern Trust Open 2015: James Hahn is the people’s champ - February 23, 2015
- Lakers news: Julius Randle expected to play NBA Summer League - February 21, 2015
- NFL Scouting Combine: Marcus Mariota tops QBs with 4.52 40-yard dash - February 21, 2015