- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
Colin Kaepernick out-duels Russell Wilson with 87mph pitch
- Updated: June 22, 2013
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick showed why the Chicago Cubs drafted him in the 43rd round of the first-year player draft out of high school before he eventually decided to attend the University of Nevada on a football scholarship and threw an 87 mile-per-hour fastball. Russell Wilson only hit 75 on the gun when he threw his own first pitch at a recent Mariners game.
On Friday, Kaepernick’s fastball was a little low and off the plate, but to his credit, it had been awhile:
Picking up a baseball for the first time in 7 yrs tomorrow to throw out the first pitch for the… http://t.co/vQiKcekLWQ
— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7) June 21, 2013
— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7) June 22, 2013
His baseball talent is undeniable. In high school, his fastball reached the ’90s consistently, and he received more accolades playing baseball than he did football. Nevada was the only school to offer him a scholarship. He threw two no-hitters during his prep career and had multiple offers to attend college at Divison-1 programs to play America’s pastime.
But it was not his first choice. He wanted to play football all along, and the rest of the remarkable story is still unfolding. Hopefully, the Seattle Seahawks-49ers matchups can be as good this year as their quarterbacks’ first pitches were.
Photo Credit: Football Schedule
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report - August 31, 2014
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy - August 4, 2014
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71 - August 2, 2014