- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres
- NBA Summer League 2014: Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson lead Lakers past Nuggets, 83-77
- Joe Torre on Hall of Fame: ‘Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity’
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million
- Steve Kerr impresses at NBA Summer League, despite record
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1
- The Sacramento Kings’ veteran crisis
- NBA Summer League tournament beginning to take shape
- 5 NBA Summer League players who could earn rotation spots
Colin Kaepernick out-duels Russell Wilson with 87mph pitch
- Updated: June 22, 2013
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick showed why the Chicago Cubs drafted him in the 43rd round of the first-year player draft out of high school before he eventually decided to attend the University of Nevada on a football scholarship and threw an 87 mile-per-hour fastball. Russell Wilson only hit 75 on the gun when he threw his own first pitch at a recent Mariners game.
On Friday, Kaepernick’s fastball was a little low and off the plate, but to his credit, it had been awhile:
Picking up a baseball for the first time in 7 yrs tomorrow to throw out the first pitch for the… http://t.co/vQiKcekLWQ
— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7) June 21, 2013
— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7) June 22, 2013
His baseball talent is undeniable. In high school, his fastball reached the ’90s consistently, and he received more accolades playing baseball than he did football. Nevada was the only school to offer him a scholarship. He threw two no-hitters during his prep career and had multiple offers to attend college at Divison-1 programs to play America’s pastime.
But it was not his first choice. He wanted to play football all along, and the rest of the remarkable story is still unfolding. Hopefully, the Seattle Seahawks-49ers matchups can be as good this year as their quarterbacks’ first pitches were.
Photo Credit: Football Schedule
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014
- British Open 2014: Tiger Woods fires 69, sits 3 shots back after Round 1 - July 17, 2014