- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Colin Kaepernick out-duels Russell Wilson with 87mph pitch
- Updated: June 22, 2013
San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick showed why the Chicago Cubs drafted him in the 43rd round of the first-year player draft out of high school before he eventually decided to attend the University of Nevada on a football scholarship and threw an 87 mile-per-hour fastball. Russell Wilson only hit 75 on the gun when he threw his own first pitch at a recent Mariners game.
On Friday, Kaepernick’s fastball was a little low and off the plate, but to his credit, it had been awhile:
Picking up a baseball for the first time in 7 yrs tomorrow to throw out the first pitch for the… http://t.co/vQiKcekLWQ
— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7) June 21, 2013
— Colin Kaepernick (@Kaepernick7) June 22, 2013
His baseball talent is undeniable. In high school, his fastball reached the ’90s consistently, and he received more accolades playing baseball than he did football. Nevada was the only school to offer him a scholarship. He threw two no-hitters during his prep career and had multiple offers to attend college at Divison-1 programs to play America’s pastime.
But it was not his first choice. He wanted to play football all along, and the rest of the remarkable story is still unfolding. Hopefully, the Seattle Seahawks-49ers matchups can be as good this year as their quarterbacks’ first pitches were.
Photo Credit: Football Schedule
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015