- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
Clippers news: David Stern, NBA could stop Celtics-Clips deal
- Updated: June 20, 2013
League officials are believed to have concerns with the way the two teams planned to execute a potential swap, citing the fact that there would be a breach of NBA rules which prohibit side deals or contingencies in any trade. In this instance, it was obtaining Rivers’ coaching rights that was belived to be the biggest issue.
NBA commissioner David Stern confirmed the details of the report in an interview on ESPN’s The Herd, citing the fact that the coach and players’ transactions would each be separate and therefore not allowed to coincide.
“I would say that if we know that what the parties really wanted to do is one [trade] and they’re going to break it into two for the purposes of trying to avoid the restrictions that the collective bargaining agreement places on it, we know how to deal with that as well,” Stern told show host Colin Cowherd.
Whether or not dodging the rules of the new CBA was a goal of either team is uncertain, but what is clear is the fact that Stern is stepping in and flexing his muscle as it relates to a Los Angeles team for the second time in two years. He famously blocked a Los Angeles Lakers trade with the New Orleans Hornets that would have sent Chris Paul to the Lakers in exchange for Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom.
The news on the Celtics-Clippers deal comes just hours after reports surfaced that the two sides were closing in on an agreement that both were satisfied with. The Clippers were reluctant to give up guard Eric Bledsoe in addition to DeAndre Jordan. A re-worked deal was believed to include more draft picks.
For more on this story, follow the author on Twitter: @MikeJonesTweets
Photo Credit: Fortune Live Media
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014
- Clippers news: Glen Davis re-signs for 1-year, $1.2 million - July 18, 2014