- Raiders’ veteran imports hungry for respect
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report
- San Francisco Giants’ offense suddenly stalled
- 2014 NBA playoffs roundtable and predictions
- NHL playoffs 2014 preview: Stanley Cup roundtable and predictions
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding
- VIDEO: Nick Young’s 360-degree layup connects in Lakers’ home finale
- West Coast sports roundup, Week 15: 49ers’ Aldon Smith arrested, Josh Hamilton out for two months
- NFL Draft 2014: Whose stock is rising and falling?
Report: Clippers-Celtics deal involving Kevin Garnett breaks down
- Updated: June 18, 2013
The Los Angeles Clippers and Boston Celtics have ceased discussions on a potential blockbuster deal that would send Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett to Los Angeles in exchange for DeAndre Jordan and draft picks, ESPN reported on Tuesday.
The two sides each have something the other wants, so it’s not by accident that the two sides were engaged in very real discussions on the possibility of bringing Garnett and Rivers to join forces with Chris Paul.
Even Paul Pierce was part of the alleged discussions.
Per the report via Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne, every stakeholder is being cautious with their respective assets. For the Clippers, they are reluctant to send prized guard Eric Bledsoe, while the Celtics consider Rivers a desirable commodity and seek adequate compensation for the necessary buyout of his five-year, $35 million contract, which has three years left on it.
Sources that had been consulted in the report expressed optimism that something would get done between the two sides, but the report that the talks are now dead is still not a surprise. Boston knows that Rivers is a proven winner, and in this seller’s market of NBA head coaches, team president Danny Ainge knows that he won’t settle for anything less than substantial compensation if they move forward without their man on the sidelines.
If the report is indeed true, it also adds more weight to the possibility of the Los Angeles Lakers considering an offer that would send Blake Griffin and Eric Bledsoe to the Clippers in exchange for Dwight Howard.
Photo Credit: Keith Allison / Wikimedia Commons
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Chris Paul injury: Clippers’ guard slowed by hamstring in practice - April 22, 2014
- Richard Sherman, Seahawks nearing contract extension, per report - April 22, 2014
- VIDEO: Damian Lillard’s adidas commercial is outstanding - April 16, 2014