- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report
- Byron Scott dismisses talk of Kobe Bryant retirement
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs
- Marshawn Lynch may face discipline for media silence, lewd gesture
- Jack Del Rio says he’s been a ‘Raider his whole life’
- 3 things we learned from Clippers’ 126-121 loss to Cavaliers
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried?
- Jordan Farmar calls being waived by Clippers ‘mutual’
- Padres to host 2016 MLB All-Star game at Petco Park
- Clippers get Austin Rivers in 3-team trade involving Reggie Bullock
Report: Clippers-Celtics deal involving Kevin Garnett breaks down
- Updated: June 18, 2013
The Los Angeles Clippers and Boston Celtics have ceased discussions on a potential blockbuster deal that would send Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett to Los Angeles in exchange for DeAndre Jordan and draft picks, ESPN reported on Tuesday.
The two sides each have something the other wants, so it’s not by accident that the two sides were engaged in very real discussions on the possibility of bringing Garnett and Rivers to join forces with Chris Paul.
Even Paul Pierce was part of the alleged discussions.
Per the report via Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne, every stakeholder is being cautious with their respective assets. For the Clippers, they are reluctant to send prized guard Eric Bledsoe, while the Celtics consider Rivers a desirable commodity and seek adequate compensation for the necessary buyout of his five-year, $35 million contract, which has three years left on it.
Sources that had been consulted in the report expressed optimism that something would get done between the two sides, but the report that the talks are now dead is still not a surprise. Boston knows that Rivers is a proven winner, and in this seller’s market of NBA head coaches, team president Danny Ainge knows that he won’t settle for anything less than substantial compensation if they move forward without their man on the sidelines.
If the report is indeed true, it also adds more weight to the possibility of the Los Angeles Lakers considering an offer that would send Blake Griffin and Eric Bledsoe to the Clippers in exchange for Dwight Howard.
Photo Credit: Keith Allison / Wikimedia Commons
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Adam Gase was 49ers’ choice for head coach before final interview, per report - January 20, 2015
- NFL investigating New England Patriots for deflated footballs - January 19, 2015
- Jim Tomsula is an awkward interview, should 49ers fans be worried? - January 16, 2015