- Patrick Peterson ‘having fun’ with Richard Sherman feud
- Raiders training camp 2014: line of scrimmage a focus
- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
Report: Clippers-Celtics deal involving Kevin Garnett breaks down
- Updated: June 18, 2013
The Los Angeles Clippers and Boston Celtics have ceased discussions on a potential blockbuster deal that would send Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett to Los Angeles in exchange for DeAndre Jordan and draft picks, ESPN reported on Tuesday.
The two sides each have something the other wants, so it’s not by accident that the two sides were engaged in very real discussions on the possibility of bringing Garnett and Rivers to join forces with Chris Paul.
Even Paul Pierce was part of the alleged discussions.
Per the report via Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne, every stakeholder is being cautious with their respective assets. For the Clippers, they are reluctant to send prized guard Eric Bledsoe, while the Celtics consider Rivers a desirable commodity and seek adequate compensation for the necessary buyout of his five-year, $35 million contract, which has three years left on it.
Sources that had been consulted in the report expressed optimism that something would get done between the two sides, but the report that the talks are now dead is still not a surprise. Boston knows that Rivers is a proven winner, and in this seller’s market of NBA head coaches, team president Danny Ainge knows that he won’t settle for anything less than substantial compensation if they move forward without their man on the sidelines.
If the report is indeed true, it also adds more weight to the possibility of the Los Angeles Lakers considering an offer that would send Blake Griffin and Eric Bledsoe to the Clippers in exchange for Dwight Howard.
Photo Credit: Keith Allison / Wikimedia Commons
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Patrick Peterson ‘having fun’ with Richard Sherman feud - July 31, 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report - July 25, 2014
- Angels acquire Huston Street from Padres - July 19, 2014