- Pac-12 video preview: California Golden Bears at Washington Huskies
- Lakers sign center Robert Upshaw
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors
- Golden State Warriors pursuing Steve Nash, per report
- Video preview: Utah State Aggies at Washington Huskies
- Seattle Seahawks top Las Vegas sportsbook as Super Bowl favorites
- Lions vs. Chargers: Philip Rivers, Melvin Gordon dealing with nerves, excitement
- Richard Sherman: Tom Brady, Patriots didn’t cheat
- Pac-12 preview: Oregon Ducks at Michigan State Spartans
Report: Clippers won’t accept offer for Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett
- Updated: June 15, 2013
Despite reports to the contrary, the Los Angeles Clippers have informed Boston Celtics head coach Doc Rivers that they will not accept the C’s offer that would allow him to be their next head coach, according to Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times.
The Celtics were involved with discussions with the Clippers with respect to a blockbuster trade that would involve Rivers in addition to veterans Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. The Clippers likely balked at the move because such a deal would likely involve having to move Blake Griffin, who sources inside the Clippers’ organization have deemed untouchable.
Rivers coached the Celtics to their last NBA title in 2008, when they defeated the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Finals. The Clippers were also discussing sending a package that would include both DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe in lieu of landing Griffin, but the Clippers were still reluctant to make such a drastic change. Rivers had a lucrative contract with the Celtics, and the trade involving Garnett and potentially Pierce was seen as a complementary piece.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Raiders’ Charles Woodson, Derek Carr day-to-day with injuries - September 17, 2015
- Philip Rivers, Carlos Hyde earn NFL players of the week honors - September 17, 2015
- Aldon Smith signs 1-year deal with Raiders, charged with three crimes on same day - September 11, 2015