- Kobe Bryant return: Lakers star to debut Sunday vs. Raptors
- Robinson Cano, Mariners agree to 10-year, $240M deal after Jay-Z gets in the way
- Trail Blazers: ‘Rip City’ is a legitimate Western Conference threat
- Seahawks vs. 49ers preview: Seattle can clinch NFC West with season sweep of division rival
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G ‘days’ away from returning
- Why Brent Burns is the key to success in San Jose
- Kobe Bryant injury update: Lakers G rules himself for Friday’s game
- Lakers News: Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash practice again
- Los Angeles Clippers’ bench needs to step up in place of J.J. Redick
- Dodgers close to re-signing Brian Wilson
Report: Clippers won’t accept offer for Doc Rivers, Kevin Garnett
- Updated: June 15, 2013
Despite reports to the contrary, the Los Angeles Clippers have informed Boston Celtics head coach Doc Rivers that they will not accept the C’s offer that would allow him to be their next head coach, according to Brad Turner of the Los Angeles Times.
The Celtics were involved with discussions with the Clippers with respect to a blockbuster trade that would involve Rivers in addition to veterans Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. The Clippers likely balked at the move because such a deal would likely involve having to move Blake Griffin, who sources inside the Clippers’ organization have deemed untouchable.
Rivers coached the Celtics to their last NBA title in 2008, when they defeated the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Finals. The Clippers were also discussing sending a package that would include both DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe in lieu of landing Griffin, but the Clippers were still reluctant to make such a drastic change. Rivers had a lucrative contract with the Celtics, and the trade involving Garnett and potentially Pierce was seen as a complementary piece.
Latest posts by Michael C. Jones (see all)
- Kobe Bryant return: Lakers star to debut Sunday vs. Raptors - December 6, 2013
- Robinson Cano, Mariners agree to 10-year, $240M deal after Jay-Z gets in the way - December 6, 2013
- Steve Sarkisian to USC: Looking at the former UW coach’s most ironic tweets - December 3, 2013