- Raiders training camp 2014: Dennis Allen in ‘love’ with his quarterbacks
- NFL training camp 2014: Tony Bergstrom ready to meet expectations
- NFL training camp 2014: Raiders have an admirer in Justin Tuck
- Dwight Freeney, Chargers’ linebackers look to improve pass rush in 2014
- Byron Scott has offer to coach Lakers, per report
- Chargers training camp 2014: Brandon Flowers ready to blossom with new team
- Raiders cut veteran Kevin Burnett
- Chargers open training camp on competitive note
- MVP performance a future glimpse of Ray McCallum
- Seattle Seahawks jerseys top NFLshop.com sales
49ers minicamp notes: Austin Collie works out for Niners
- Updated: June 14, 2013
Former Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Austin Collie took part in a workout with the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday. Collie, who spent four seasons with the Colts, was productive when he was on the field but has had issues with concussions. He also ruptured his patellar tendon last season.
For his his career, Collie has 173 receptions for 1845 yards and 16 touchdowns. Collie was at his best in 2010 when he caught 58 balls for 649 yards and 8 touchdowns in only 9 games. If healthy, Collie could be a player the 49ers could consider using in the slot. He also worked out for the New England Patriots earlier in the week.
Carlos Rogers will reprise role as team’s nickel cornerback
Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio confirmed that Carlos Rogers will remain in the team’s nickel cornerback slot this year. Rogers has filled that role in the 49er’s defense since 2011. Fangio has said that Roger’s knowledge and athleticism make him an ideal fit for the role.
“He’s got a really good understanding, as you would think a veteran would, but some guys never master it,” Fangio said last year. “He’s got a good understanding of what the offenses are trying to do from route concepts, and he has good anticipation.”
After a career year in 2011, Roger’s play slipped last season and the 49ers had issues defending slot receivers such as Danny Amendola and Percy Harvin. Those issues could continue in 2013 as the team will see Harvin twice now that he is in the division with the Seattle Seahawks. While Amendola is no longer with the St. Louis Rams, they have replaced him with rookie Tavon Austin whose speed and elusiveness could pose a problem.
Versatile B.J. Daniels continues to impress
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- Joe Torre reflects on decision to manage the Dodgers - July 26, 2014
- Vernon Davis reports to training camp on time - July 23, 2014
- 49ers training camp preview: 5 stories to watch - July 23, 2014