- Greg Monroe to visit with Lakers, Blazers during free agency
- Matt Kemp hitting leadoff as Padres shake things up vs. Giants
- Padres promote Pat Murphy for remainder of the season
- Clippers acquire Lance Stephenson for Matt Barnes, Spencer Hawes
- Bud Black fired by Padres after nine seasons
- 3 takeaways from Seattle Seahawks OTAs
- Stephen Curry goes cold as Warriors fall to Cavs in OT, 95-93
- San Diego State, USD agree to basketball game at Petco Park, add four years to contract
- LeBron James’ 44 not enough as Warriors top Cavs in OT, 108-100
- Padres top Mets, 7-2, as Yonder Alonso returns in style
49ers minicamp notes: Austin Collie works out for Niners
- Updated: June 14, 2013
Former Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Austin Collie took part in a workout with the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday. Collie, who spent four seasons with the Colts, was productive when he was on the field but has had issues with concussions. He also ruptured his patellar tendon last season.
For his his career, Collie has 173 receptions for 1845 yards and 16 touchdowns. Collie was at his best in 2010 when he caught 58 balls for 649 yards and 8 touchdowns in only 9 games. If healthy, Collie could be a player the 49ers could consider using in the slot. He also worked out for the New England Patriots earlier in the week.
Carlos Rogers will reprise role as team’s nickel cornerback
Defensive coordinator Vic Fangio confirmed that Carlos Rogers will remain in the team’s nickel cornerback slot this year. Rogers has filled that role in the 49er’s defense since 2011. Fangio has said that Roger’s knowledge and athleticism make him an ideal fit for the role.
“He’s got a really good understanding, as you would think a veteran would, but some guys never master it,” Fangio said last year. “He’s got a good understanding of what the offenses are trying to do from route concepts, and he has good anticipation.”
After a career year in 2011, Roger’s play slipped last season and the 49ers had issues defending slot receivers such as Danny Amendola and Percy Harvin. Those issues could continue in 2013 as the team will see Harvin twice now that he is in the division with the Seattle Seahawks. While Amendola is no longer with the St. Louis Rams, they have replaced him with rookie Tavon Austin whose speed and elusiveness could pose a problem.
Versatile B.J. Daniels continues to impress
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- Raiders’ Amari Cooper endorses ex-teammate, 49ers’ DeAndrew White - July 1, 2015
- Lakers will meet with Kevin Love, per report - July 1, 2015
- Outside linebacker still a strength for 49ers - June 26, 2015