- Alex Boone, 49ers reach contract agreement, per report
- Charles Woodson on Raiders’ relocation: ‘It’d be devastating’
- Matt Schaub iffy in Sunday training camp
- Alvin Gentry says Shaquille O’Neal ambushed teammates naked
- Sacramento Kings unveil new 2014 home, away jerseys
- NFL Training Camp 2014: Chargers season preview
- Raiders training camp 2014: Darren McFadden unfazed by demotion
- Tiger Woods injury: PGA Championship status unknown, future cloudy
- Outdoor game between Sharks and Kings leaked
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational 2014: Tiger Woods struggles with Round 2 71
49ers sign special-teams Pro Bowler Kassim Osgood
- Updated: June 6, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers continue to make their special teams a priority with the signing of former Pro Bowler Kassim Osgood. Osgood’s deal is for one year and he will be added to the team’s 90-man roster.
The 49ers will be Osgood’s fourth team during his time in the NFL. He spent his first seven years in the league with the San Diego Chargers and made the Pro Bowl for special teams play in 2006, 2007, and 2009. He went on to play for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2010 and 2011 before spending last season with the Detroit Lions.
The signing of Osgood is purely special teams driven. Osgood only has 44 career receptions in 151 games. 28 of those came in his first two seasons with the Chargers.
To make room for Osgood on the roster, the team waived wide receiver Joe Hastings. Hastings had only appeared in one game for the 49ers, which was in 2011. He did not record a catch.
Latest posts by Al Sacco (see all)
- 49ers look to move on without Aldon Smith - August 29, 2014
- 49ers training camp 2014: How will the receiver battles play out? - August 27, 2014
- The pros and cons of giving Michael Crabtree a new contract - August 22, 2014