- UPDATE: Odell Beckham Jr. wins Madden Cover
- NFL defense contracts tell sad tale of greed
- Clippers dominate 3rd quarter, beat Rockets, 128-95
- Lakers should hold off on max offer sheet to Jimmy Butler
- NFL Draft 2015: Rumors swirl as Day 1 nears
- Josh Hamilton trade: Angels GM says moving on was in team’s ‘best interest’
- Lou Holtz retires: Hopefully shows shift at ESPN
- Anquan Boldin on Colin Kaepernick: ‘Trust your skills’
- NFL trade rumors: Titans Willing to trade No.2 Pick?
- Nick Young injury: Lakers forward likely done for season
49ers sign special-teams Pro Bowler Kassim Osgood
- Updated: June 6, 2013
The San Francisco 49ers continue to make their special teams a priority with the signing of former Pro Bowler Kassim Osgood. Osgood’s deal is for one year and he will be added to the team’s 90-man roster.
The 49ers will be Osgood’s fourth team during his time in the NFL. He spent his first seven years in the league with the San Diego Chargers and made the Pro Bowl for special teams play in 2006, 2007, and 2009. He went on to play for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2010 and 2011 before spending last season with the Detroit Lions.
The signing of Osgood is purely special teams driven. Osgood only has 44 career receptions in 151 games. 28 of those came in his first two seasons with the Chargers.
To make room for Osgood on the roster, the team waived wide receiver Joe Hastings. Hastings had only appeared in one game for the 49ers, which was in 2011. He did not record a catch.